Military body armor
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Military body armor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1089 Times on 580 Posts

Default Military body armor

So a friend came across some military body armor that was being thrown out do to wear and tear. There's no ballistic plates and he said the stitches are coming apart in multiple places so it's no good for protection. I guess that leaves target practice the only logical use for it. I think I'll start with the XDs9, then should I go for the AR or skip it and go straight to the AK? These are important decisions and help would be appreciated =)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9484 Times on 5122 Posts
Likes Given: 19669

Sorta pointless without the plates

Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Does it suck that much?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9484 Times on 5122 Posts
Likes Given: 19669

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Does it suck that much?
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but a bulletproof vest without the bulletproof plates is just a vest.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but a bulletproof vest without the bulletproof plates is just a vest.

Kinda sounds like a challenge, maybe a couple weeks but I'll post my results with pictures. Let's see how well our boys are protected, or not...
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Be sure exactly what subject matter we're discussing. "Ballistic Vests" are those softer vests used by police officers and some civilians as daily wear to protect themselves from handgun fire. Military vests are typically called "Plate Carriers" and are themselves NOT bullet resistant, but have large pockets for thick, hard ceramic SAPI (Small Arms Protective Insert) plates which provide protection against military rifle fire. Be sure to differentiate between the two as they are very different in protection and use.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Also, Flak jackets and vests fall under military body armor, but we're not designed to stop bullets. By hey were made to stop low velocity, irregular shaped pieces of metal, like shrapnel. Some may stop a small range of pistol bullets some times, but it was still not their original purpose. And they don't stop knives in a stabbing motion, as a couple of Marines found out, just horsing around.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 05-05-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Yunus Likes This 
Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 608 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Be sure exactly what subject matter we're discussing. "Ballistic Vests" are those softer vests used by police officers and some civilians as daily wear to protect themselves from handgun fire. Military vests are typically called "Plate Carriers" and are themselves NOT bullet resistant, but have large pockets for thick, hard ceramic SAPI (Small Arms Protective Insert) plates which provide protection against military rifle fire. Be sure to differentiate between the two as they are very different in protection and use.
I was ignorant of this, as I thought the military vest was a kevlar based bullet resistant vest that ALSO had plates.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Tank,

In your testing you will probably find it will stop the 9mm with little problem. However there are few vests to my knowledge that will stop a rifle round like the 223/5.56, 7.62X39, 7.62X51 or others without the plates. Anyone believing that they will stop rifle rounds without the plate would soon have a real shock. Just for additional information, the proper covered plates is a very critical issue as well. We did a test one time with a vest with plates in it using those foam heads from a beauticians school. And when the vest and plates were shot with a 7.62X51 round the shrapnel from the bullet shaved the face off of the dummy!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6835 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

most common is the vietnam era flak vest still in use. stops blunt force slashing and shrapnel is not protective against stabbing or 9mm+ cartridges. this vest is excellent for riot duty especially if combined with the civilian vest

civilian vest is in wide use by mp forces same as flak but lighter and no protection from blunt force will stop up to 357mag has pocket for optional trauma plate to stop breast breakage from 357+ cartridges. plate is not rated for rifle.

plate carrier, no protection without single use plates rated for 7.62x39 and long range 7.62x54r as used by long distance snipers

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent