m91/30 and rem 700

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > m91/30 and rem 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default m91/30 and rem 700

just got some pics of my last range trip where i took my new mosin nagant 91/30 out for a spin. also added the targets for my rem 700 .30-06 with peep sights.

1] 91/30 (7.62x54r) 100 yds. using winchester 180 gr. soft points:

notice the first target only has 8 holes. the first two didn't even make it on paper, but once i figured out where to aim i started brining it in a little and by the second target i was able to get somewhat close to the bull (even hitting it once) and keep the group to 4 inches.

i had heard that these were usually sighted in for shooting with bayonet attached so i am not surprised my shots went high and right without it, but i didn't think it would be as much as ten inches in both directions. however i am sure that by moving the front sight over a bit and making the post slightly taller (with some heat shrink black wire covering) that i can get it on target.

i think if i can manage a 4 inch group on the first day with this rifle, when i get it on target i will have some pretty decent groupings through these iron sights.

2] rem 700 (.30-06) with the peep sights at 100 yds. using remington 150 gr core-locked psp

i've done range reports on this gun before. i just had the camera out and decided to do some pics of this one as well to show my improvement. still getting a couple of flyers on each target, but over all pretty tight groupings for peep sights.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

after your first post on the nagant, I've gone to big five three times... nothing but crap.

Hows the action? Nice and smooth?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Default update

update. i went back to the range with both guns yesterday and shot ok. i didn't adjust the sight on the mosin, i just shot it with bayonet attached. i was going to move it, but then i decided that when there was hammering around the barrel involved i might do better to let someone with experience do that. or maybe pick up one of those front sight adjustment tools if i can find one. for now i'm just gonna shoot with bayonet attached.

here's yesterday's two best groups (same distance, same exact ammo as above):

m91/30

rem 700

not too bad for iron sights. however, i am starting to realize the 3-5 inch group is about the best i'm gonna do through these types of sights.

so since i have the mosin that can perform as well as the rem 700, i decided to go ahead and get a scope for the remmy. this way i could have my iron sight fun with the milsurp rifle, and have the rem 700 for longer distance accuracy.

on the way home from the range i stopped at a outdoor store that i like and they had one of those nikon prostaff scopes that i've read about in here. after hearing good things about it and checking out a few of what they had it seemed like it was a decent mid price scope so i picked it up, along with a boresighter to help me get it sighted (goodbye tax return )

i have it mounted in the leupold mounts that came with my gun (will post a new pic in the rem 700 thread) and i boresighted it. i just need to go to the range now and fine tune it.

if i get some good weather and make it out to the range soon i will post another update.

oh, and to answer this real quick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
Hows the action? Nice and smooth?
no, not really. they're known for having really stiff actions. there are a few things you can do for that tho, but i haven't done them. it's usable and ok (it got some soldier through WW2), but i would by no means describe the factory action on a mosin to be "nice" or "smooth"...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #4

went to the range today to test the new .22 and took these guns along. this is about how i've been doing with these guns lately. not super great but consistent for me shooting.

m91-30 100 yds 10 rounds of winchester 180 gr soft points (iron sights):

rem 700 .30-06 100 yds 2-10 round targets using 150 gr misurp ball ammo:

weather was 40 degrees f and raining.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #5

Not bad I am horrible with iron sights and cant hit jack at long distances with my M38 Mosin. I am going to bring my glasses next time .