M16 vs AK47
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

M16 vs AK47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4675 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 2360

Default M16 vs AK47

This is not really a report, just a pair of old targets I found while rifling through stuff. Bin Laden looks younger. The targets were printed in 2001... Both were shot full-auto, in a casual manner. The AK shot a larger pattern, and was harder to keep on target during bursts. The barrel crown was probably dinged up.
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (9.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (10.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Mercator; 01-06-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The AK (bottom) looks like it is key holing and I think that is more a shot out barrel than a dinged crown.
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The AK (bottom) looks like it is key holing and I think that is more a shot out barrel than a dinged crown.
That's true. They are not really indestructible.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The bimetal bullets are hell on barrels. 5K rounds is pretty much the limit while copper jackets will go 10K+.
The Wolf 223 55 grain loads are bimetal while the 62 grain Wolf loads are copper jacket. I wont shoot the 55 grain in my rifles.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think its a safe guess, most of these AKs have a longer service life than 5K, as long as they keep shooting.

It is interesting how they became so desirable stateside, only because they are forbidden fruit. The insane amount of money and hassle to legally own a bullet spraying piece of junk, likely THE least accurate weapon you have ever owned, that better not be involved in ANY law-and-order situation.
locutus Likes This 
Old 01-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I always like comparing things like this really it's just fun to shoot them, but really it's like comparing a mercades to an old farm truck, the mercades has a lot of features and is great for driving around town, where the old farm truck is good for working and is just basic.

The m16 has good controls and you can get a bunch of stuff to put on it, where the ak is just simple and made for work.

Both guns where designed for two completely different combat styles, and this why it's kinda stupid when people get into arguments about which is better.

I'm not saying this is stupid I think it's really cool you got the chance to fire these, from a few people i've talked to that spent time in the middle east a lot of ak's over there have been shot so much the riflings gone and they just keep using them. Also they'res a lot of people that make copy's of the gun in there dirt floor shack. I guess that's also another reason that the AK's so popular around the world they're not that hard to make.

just thinking about this what type of m16 where you shooting?

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED
Texgunner Likes This 
Old 01-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'd do what the soldiers did in the vietnam war. Throw down the m16 and pick up an ak.
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I always like comparing things like this really it's just fun to shoot them, but really it's like comparing a mercades to an old farm truck, the mercades has a lot of features and is great for driving around town, where the old farm truck is good for working and is just basic.

The m16 has good controls and you can get a bunch of stuff to put on it, where the ak is just simple and made for work.

Both guns where designed for two completely different combat styles, and this why it's kinda stupid when people get into arguments about which is better.

I'm not saying this is stupid I think it's really cool you got the chance to fire these, from a few people i've talked to that spent time in the middle east a lot of ak's over there have been shot so much the riflings gone and they just keep using them. Also they'res a lot of people that make copy's of the gun in there dirt floor shack. I guess that's also another reason that the AK's so popular around the world they're not that hard to make.

just thinking about this what type of m16 where you shooting?
Can't recall now but probably an A2.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
I'd do what the soldiers did in the vietnam war. Throw down the m16 and pick up an ak.
urban legend
locutus Likes This 
Old 01-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
There is a superior alternative to both -- the Ruger Mini's:
File Type: jpg RUGER MINI 14 5.56X45MM.jpg (30.5 KB, 64 views)