M14sRock-Here's your report!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > M14sRock-Here's your report!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Default M14sRock-Here's your report!

Since M14sRock has been hounding on me lately about making him wait for more info on my going's on,I had to get in gear and go to the range today.
(I'm just kidding,and think very highly of him,but I have to rib him a little.)

I loaded up my newly acquired Savage 12-223 along with my 25/06,and 308 and headed out to the range this morning.We are having some great weather here in N.Tx,and my friend Ryan called and said he'd meet me there.

I used load data I have for several loads that I shoot in my RRA AR15.I just changed the COAL of each load for the differences in the chamber depth.

First up was the Sierra 65gr SPBT.I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on this load,but I think the second group is getting there-.568",Not too shabby!

Next was the Speer 70gr SP. If the idiot behind the trigger could do his job,I'd get some great groups with these.The first 3 shots in all 3 groups touch,and then I blow the next 2 shots.
I do the same thing with the AR15.I think both of these bullets are great for hunting larger varmints,maybe even a good choice for head shots on deer,and hogs.I'll try'em on some hogs first.

Next up was the Hornady 75gr BTHP Moly bullets.These things always shoot great with very little work on loading.Once again,I failed to do my job on the second and third groups with these,but still shot between 3/4-1" with them.

Last was the Hornady 60gr VMax.These will need some work with this gun,but they aren't off too much.
The Savage has a 26" barrel,and The AR15 has a 20" barrel so I knew there would be some differences in how they shoot these loads.

I only shot the 25/06,and 308 to get the scopes dialed in with my hunting loads.Both are dead on,and ready to go.I'll be shooting Nosler CT Silvertips out of both.115gr with the 25/06 and 168gr with the 308.Sorry,No pics!
Ryan bought his wife a new single shot 243,and had loaded some ammo and came out to see how it shot.He has one load that shot around .750",so I think his wife will be a happy hunter.

That's all I got. THB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the report. It looks pretty good to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Excellent report! Thank you.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Good deal bud.
I can't wait to try that baby at our next meet.
Hopefully it won't be pouring on us.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Good deal bud.
I can't wait to try that baby at our next meet.
Hopefully it won't be pouring on us.
Jo,You know that your welcome to shoot any of my guns.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again,and also meeting a whole lot more members that couldn't make the last M&G we had.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Very nice!!!

Great shooting Tx. That stick will settle in once the two of you get a feel for each other. Did you chrono those loads?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I didn't chrono these loads with this gun.I have with the RRA,but there will be a little difference since the Savage has a different twist rate and a 6'' longer barrel.

I'm sure that I'll change the stock,I absolutely hate Savage factory tupperware,been thinking about a laminated thumbhole stock from Richards Microfit.They are pretty rough though,and take some time to finish.
The trigger is ok,but it'll probably get changed out also.

For a 1st time out,the rifle performed great.I needed to do better,but you can't expect to shoot good all the time.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I didn't chrono these loads with this gun.I have with the RRA,but there will be a little difference since the Savage has a different twist rate and a 6'' longer barrel.

I'm sure that I'll change the stock,I absolutely hate Savage factory tupperware,been thinking about a laminated thumbhole stock from Richards Microfit.They are pretty rough though,and take some time to finish.
The trigger is ok,but it'll probably get changed out also.

For a 1st time out,the rifle performed great.I needed to do better,but you can't expect to shoot good all the time.
I would like to replace mine with the B&C, but it shoots so well I don't want to tempt fate. This is my buddy's .308 in the B&C.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."