Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > m&p 9 range report/advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default m&p 9 range report/advice

20140123_173445.jpg

Went to the range today. This is the first 20 rounds I shot 25 feet. All down hill from there. Think I'm a little sick so it was hard to even keep the gun held up today

I was practicing different grip strengths as in my research I learned I was teaching so I changed to the correct grip I think. Both thumbs pointing down range. Unfortunately after those rounds I couldn't do it again lol.

I do tend to shoot low left about 7 to 8 o'clock. I dry fired a few times after I shot today and I could see the gun dip. So I'm looking for some suggestions from you guys.

S&W M&P 9mm full size
Beretta PX4 9mm compact

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #2

Liked 300 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Safely dry fire the gun. A lot. Remove all ammo from the gun, go to another room with no ammo in it, recheck the gun, then dry fire, watching the front sight. (Always dry fire at a 'safe' target.

Are you trapping the trigger when you shoot, then using the reset?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Safely dry fire the gun. A lot. Remove all ammo from the gun, go to another room with no ammo in it, recheck the gun, then dry fire, watching the front sight. (Always dry fire at a 'safe' target.

Are you trapping the trigger when you shoot, then using the reset?
Yes I was trapping the trigger.

S&W M&P 9mm full size
Beretta PX4 9mm compact

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Liked 300 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I love the M&P line, except for the trigger... That took some time for me to get used to. Will eventually get some of the Apex trigger stuff in my 9c. Dry practice helped my shooting a lot, and it is free.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 139

low and left is common for right handed shooters...recoil anticipation. Sounds like you are researching answers...combine that with dry fire practice and LOTS of live fire practice and you should be able to overcome that with time...just lots of perseverance needed....look at the up side; you need to spend more time shooting!

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1826 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

A laser really helps here. It gives you a strong visual of the amount of dip. I have found that trying too hard to control the trigger with a slow squeeze can lead to anticipation. A lot of triggers have a little almost unnoticeable catch just before they break and when you feel it you anticipate. Polishing the sear can help there. The trigger squeeze needs to be smooth but without hesitation.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

It's common among shooters switching from DA/SA or SA only guns to DAO's. Your jerking the trigger slightly at the ignition point. (it) Was happening to me as well with my SR9 until someone gave me the "Graphical" target and told me how to correct it....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #8

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

First forget about the M&P and get healthy first !! Then feeling better just pick it up and give it a try. Sounds like your strong hand is reatching to far forward . Maybe try a larger backstrap?? Change the position of your finger on the trigger. or loose your thumbs?? I don't think about my grip.

Check out this page-
http://www.hsoi.com/resources/correction_chart-lefthanded.gif

Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely wait to go shooting for a while but I'm glad I went as it exaggerated what I'm doing wrong and so I can practice and correct the issues.

S&W M&P 9mm full size
Beretta PX4 9mm compact

Old 01-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Take a box of good hp ammo to try just to see the difference in the run of the mill 115gr fmj junk and a better quality 124 or 147gr ammo. speer's 124gr gold dot can shoot very well if you can find any. Its a ragged hole ammo in my wifes m&p9c at 7 to 10 yards.

hang in there. It can also take a few hundred rounds for the triggers to slick up and for a shooter to get in tune with a new handgun.