LR-308 Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > LR-308 Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default LR-308 Range Report

Finally got the time to go to the range yesterday and shot about 140 rounds through my LR-308. Did pretty well. Started to shooting some surplus that the gun store gave me when I bought the gun. Wanted to finish the break-in period and just get rid of the ammo. It was really inconsistent and didn't group well, then I shot some Remington Cor-Lokt 150 Gr., then I shot some Winchester Super X 150 Gr. It shot the best groups and is what most the pictures are of. All of these are at 100 yards.

Here's a pic of the gun:

Here's the first target. Wasn't trying too hard here, still kinda trying to get the scope fully sighted in:

Here's the second target. These were 5 shot groups, actually tried on these too. Would've had a couple of pretty good groups had it not been for some fliers:

Definitely not as good as the gun will do. I was starting to get impatient and rushed a lot of the shots. My eyes were also starting to get tired towards the end. I'll be going back on either Monday or Tuesday and I'm gonna try and shoot some better groups. This time I won't have the surplus ammo getting it dirty before I shoot the good stuff, and I'm gonna make sure and work on my breathing and trigger control so hopefully I can get some better groups. Will post pics afterward. Enjoy!

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 08-16-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #2

Here's a closer look at the two better groups:

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice grouping Cross! I want one of these things but will settle for the Savage bolt gun for now....at least 'till the budget gets a little better. Looks like a sweet shooter!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Fred,

Are those 100 yd. groups? Looks like you have a real good barrel and you will be very surprised when you start reloading! As the gun and trigger wear in, the groups will get even tighter with factory fodder. My LR308 is the only gun that I really look forward to shooting each time I go to the range, because I know that any inconsistencies in my grouping are due strictly to my ability or inability on that particular day. I am certain that from a machine rest that gun would make 1 ragged hole all day long. What scope did you settle on?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-16-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #5

Yeah, they're 100 yards. Forgot to add that in at first but just went back and did. And I'm starting to get used to the trigger, it had definitely smoothed out some since I first got it. I ended up getting a 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn as that was all that funds would allow at the time. But when I get the money, that scope will get switched over to my .22 and I'll be getting a better scope for this. Probably something in a 6-24, not sure what brand though. Any suggestions on a better scope? I don't know much at all about scopes. I'd like to stay somewhere around $500, but wouldn't mind going a little over that.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #6

Burris Fullfield II Tac-2 6.5X – 20X! On my wish list for my 10FP!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #7

I really don't plan on doing any target shooting at anything over 100 yards as I don't think there are any ranges near me that are any longer. And most of the hunting that I'll do with will be at ranges less than 250 yards. Would I be better to get a really good 3-9x40, something like a Zeiss or Trijicon? Or go to a higher power scope in a brand that wouldn't be quite as expensive?

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #8

Know what you mean Fred and I know I'll end up with something else too...but it's still on my wish list for later.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Check out the new Weaver varmint scopes - they have really nice, fine reticles that are geared toward target shooting. Weaver makes some excellent scopes, despite their reputation for cheap .22 scopes.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #10

I took a look at the Weavers and will probably pick one of them up in the near future. From the reviews I read, they're as good as scopes that cost $200-$300 more. There were two I was looking at, one has a Varminter reticle and the other has fine crosshair dot reticle. Anyone know whether one is better than the other or is it all up to personal preference? Here are a couple links to the scopes I was looking at:

MidwayUSA - Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 6-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective Varminter Reticle Matte

MidwayUSA - Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 6-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective Fine Crosshair Dot Reticle Matte

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!