Load Development Results
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Load Development Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default Load Development Results

My US Model of 1917 Eddystone 30-06 had been shooting high with all previously developed loads so I thought more load development was in order. I suspect since the condition of my bore has improved greatly, my velocity has increased.

Since my previously loaded cartridges weren't reliable, I pulled all the bullets with loads using IMR 4064. Ive load developed with IMR 4064 extensively and wanted to go with something I figured I could guess where my POI height would be... since I need the load to correlate to the set sight graduations.

So I loaded up 10 Audette Ladder Test cartridges and stored them outside overnight so their temperature would be sub-zero, (for use during winter.)

Here is a short video I made of that day's test.

Here is a pic of the test results.

After 6 shots I knew the load was 46.9grains of powder, so I stopped, (waste not whatnot.)

I wanted to have a perfectly clean bore, (cold-bore,) to test the new load, this way if there was a cold-bore deviation I would know how much.
This time I didn't cool the cartridges before shooting, it was going to be warm anyway and I wanted to see if accuracy was going to go south with the warmer temps.

Here is another video of today's group.
Here is a pic of that group.

Which happens to be the smallest 300 yard group I've ever shot with any rifle, scoped or not.

That is nine shots and I've found a load that shoots wonderfully. The Audette Ladder Test is the most economical way to load develop, that I know of. If you haven't tried it, you should give it some serious thought.
I rarely shoot more than 10 shots during load development.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I tried the load at 400 yards and hit high again.

But I figured out what my problem is; its the bullets I am using are too aerodynamic. They are just going to be higher and higher as I go further and further.

Does anyone know what bullet they used in 1917?

I'm going to try Hornady 180gr RN bullets because my figuring shows the drop to be about right, at least from 300 to 400 yards.