The List of Offensive Range Stereotypes (long post). - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > The List of Offensive Range Stereotypes (long post).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
. . I don't get the hate & discontent over this. .
It was just one person. No one else minded it and most seemed to have enjoyed it.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I don't get the hate & discontent over this. If anyone has spent much time at ranges, you have seen some of these stereotypes play out.

So here is my take. The only stereotypes that exist are the ones we choose to build in our mind. They are standardized and simplified conceptions of people which we build based on some prior assumptions. Another name for stereotyping is bias. We often stereotype because it is too difficult for us to take in all of the complexities of other people as individuals.

Some people don't stereotype others, often because they have had rich experiences with people of all sectors of society and through that process learned to embrace the diversity people have to offer. The complexities of individuals are what make people interesting in my opinion.

So when you say, "If anyone has spent time at ranges, you have seen some of these stereotypes" it does not necessarily hold true. The only stereotypes we see are those we create in our mind and they are not universal. You create your stereotypes, I create mine, and others create theirs. People and groups are not a stereotype unless we make them so in our mind.

Anyway I understand the range of reactions. And I do think this has been a good thread.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
or armour-plated bears.
HOLY CRAP! When did they get armor? {runs to scrape teflon off frying pan to make more effective ammo}

Good thread!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #34

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSenior

So here is my take. The only stereotypes that exist are the ones we choose to build in our mind. They are standardized and simplified conceptions of people which we build based on some prior assumptions. Another name for stereotyping is bias. We often stereotype because it is too difficult for us to take in all of the complexities of other people as individuals.

Some people don't stereotype others, often because they have had rich experiences with people of all sectors of society and through that process learned to embrace the diversity people have to offer. The complexities of individuals are what make people interesting in my opinion.

So when you say, "If anyone has spent time at ranges, you have seen some of these stereotypes" it does not necessarily hold true. The only stereotypes we see are those we create in our mind and they are not universal. You create your stereotypes, I create mine, and others create theirs. People and groups are not a stereotype unless we make them so in our mind.

Anyway I understand the range of reactions. And I do think this has been a good thread.
I have to repectfully disagree. There are stereo types. Take myself being from the south. I like cornbread,say ain't and have lived in a trailor with a car up on blocks in the front yard. I have since moved but I was that guy in the stereo type. It's not bad to reconize similar traits in a group of people. In my opinion, it's all what you do with it.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #35

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I have to repectfully disagree. There are stereo types. Take myself being from the south. I like cornbread,say ain't and have lived in a trailor with a car up on blocks in the front yard. I have since moved but I was that guy in the stereo type. It's not bad to reconize similar traits in a group of people. In my opinion, it's all what you do with it.
This^.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
There are stereo types.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSenior View Post

Dude, are you an engineer? What you just wrote is stereotypical of an engineer.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Dude, are you an engineer? What you just wrote is stereotypical of an engineer.
Busted! I am really working hard to be brief! Good comment. Liked the way you weaved it together. :-)

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalSenior View Post
Busted! I am really working hard to be brief! Good comment. Liked the way you weaved it together. :-)
So then some stereotypes actually are accurate?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So then some stereotypes actually are accurate?
Using my lens of experience I think there is little truth in stereotypes and when allowed to exist people often get sold short. Hey but no one ever said life is fair. Reality is not what it is, it's what we think it is.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations .. James Madison

12E20 Special Weapons - ADM
- 12th Engr Bn - Dexheim, FRG 1973 - 1975
- 567th Engr Co. - Hanau, FRG 1975