Ladies at the range - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Ladies at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'll have to read this post several times.......slowly....to try to understand it all. The range I mostly go to is an indoor range and you can only shoot handguns or rifles of handgun caliber. I think that rules out the 30-06, right? I was just looking for a .22 rifle but I'll consider anything. You're talking to me like I know something about rifles. ROFL I don't.

Mauser...mosin....AKA 7.92x57mm.........AKA 8x57mm........7.62x54R......milsuprs...........HUH ?????
The Mosins and such won't be allowed to be used at the indoor range. Milsurp is slang for military surplus, which means that they aren't now military rifles, but that is how they began their existence.
If you're looking for a .22 caliber, which are great fun, Henry are beauties. Just remember, they aren't the cheapest out ther, and the reason being they are solid as a rock.
It really comes down to what style you like. You can get a semi-automatic .22 which usually have 10 round magazines, you can get a bolt action, the lever action Henry, or, if you're into it, an AR-15 style .22 caliber rifle.
While one can get larger calibers, you want yours for fun, and you can buy a box of 550 rounds for about $17.00, which should last you half an hour or so.
I have four .22's in the house, just because they are so fun to shoot and so inexpensive.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I'll have to read this post several times.......slowly....to try to understand it all. The range I mostly go to is an indoor range and you can only shoot handguns or rifles of handgun caliber. I think that rules out the 30-06, right? I was just looking for a .22 rifle but I'll consider anything. You're talking to me like I know something about rifles. ROFL I don't.

Mauser...mosin....AKA 7.92x57mm.........AKA 8x57mm........7.62x54R......milsuprs...........HUH ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
The Mosins and such won't be allowed to be used at the indoor range. Milsurp is slang for military surplus, which means that they aren't now military rifles, but that is how they began their existence.
Sorry, what he said.

Most Mausers are chambered in 8mm Mauser. That round goes by a few different names (7.92x57mm and 8x57mm are the same as 8mm Mauser) There are also several chambered in different calibers, but 8mm is the most common.

Mosin Nagants are chambered in 7.62x54R

30-06, 7.62x54R, and 8mm Mauser are ALL extremely powerful rounds, so they are not allowed in pistol ranges.

If you don't have much experience with rifles, a .22 is the best caliber to start with. But later down the road, you should really consider looking into old military rifles. They can be a lot of fun.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Sorry, what he said.

Most Mausers are chambered in 8mm Mauser. That round goes by a few different names (7.92x57mm and 8x57mm are the same as 8mm Mauser) There are also several chambered in different calibers, but 8mm is the most common.

Mosin Nagants are chambered in 7.62x54R

30-06, 7.62x54R, and 8mm Mauser are ALL extremely powerful rounds, so they are not allowed in pistol ranges.

If you don't have much experience with rifles, a .22 is the best caliber to start with. But later down the road, you should really consider looking into old military rifles. They can be a lot of fun.
Most definitely. I'd just avoid one as a first rifle. They pack a bit of a punch to them.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The 8mm Mauser is a bolt action rifle used by the German army (and others) from the late 1800s through WWII.

The Mosin Nagant is a bolt action rifle used by the Russian/Soviet army (and others) during the same time period.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #15

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I am very encouraged by the increased numbers of women joining the shooting sports. It serves to dispel the myth that "gun guys" are nuckle dragging neandrathals that like our women barefoot and pregnant, "though as a father of 4 I can't say I didnt like that phase, but more importantly, nothing opens voters eyes to 2A threats like possibility of loosing a cherished pass time.

I've always advocated the sugar over vinegar approach and believe you create allies by introducing them to something fun rather than climbing on a soap box and berating them with your views.

I would ask Ready Girl and Winds to pick up this torch and offer to take a non shooting lady friend to the range. Most of us had "someone" introduce us to a sport that from the outside can appear intimidating so pass it On.

Perhaps we can flip the stat of 54% of voting females going Democrat.

Tack

Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Recently, far more women than men are obtaining CCW permits here in NC.
I am one of them

I've noticed a lot more women at the range recently, too...some with guys, some with other women, and some by themselves.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #17

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

:'( I don't even want to THINK about purdy women...much less purdy women with guns...

I'm glad my soon to be ex never even wanted to try...it's a damn good thing jstrong never got the chance to teach her anything..he's a better shot than I am, and I'm pretty damn good. I'd be screwed if she'd ever learned to shoot half as good as him.

Thank God her idiot boyfriend had the courtesy of posting a video of him shooting at the range on Facebook...I have nothing to worry about from him either...limp wristed sissy boy....can't even keep his GLOCK from jamming, flapping his wrist around like a little girl in grade school...

Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #18

Quote:
I think my next purchase may be a rifle if I can find one that fits me well. I looked at a Henry Lever action Repeater and liked it. I've also looked at some youth model rifles.
Have you looked into some of the bolt actions by Savage, Mossberg, Marlin, etc. You can pick many of these up for about $125-175. I picked up a Savage MK-IIF and then added a Nikon Pro-Staff scope to it which brought the total up to about $300. It's like a junior's rifle to me. But, then again, I'm a big guy. Depending upon your size, might be a good fit for you.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #19

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Spent some time on the indoor handgun range today, breaking in some new hardware. I noticed a lot more women there than usual, and not there with men, but on their own, and with their girlfriends.The place was xtra busy,had to wait over an hour to get a lane. During that time i seen the beginners shooter safety class let out. Consisted of 11- women, and 2-men, I think we are gaining on you guys.......
I like to take our group of girls (my part time girlfriends) to the range without their husbands/boyfriends as they seem to have more fun and take it a little more serious with out the pressure the guys bring.

We have a good selection of guns to choose from, they buy their own ammo and we will head out, they always ask to learn how to work the gun before shooting. Some of the gals are getting scary good and two are out shooting me, one is a Cop and loves .357 Sigs.

This for me is a win win situation, I get to go shooting with several nice looking gals, I get to shoot guns that are not mine if I want, my wife and daughter are with us most of the time, more gals are getting into shooting with us. The guys still get together to go shoot too and sometimes we have too many to go to the indoor range.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My wife was no stranger to guns. She spent time in the armory during her stint in the Navy. She was never anti gun and since she now has her CCW, has three handguns of her own. Life is good, there.