Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Kimber SIS Custom--- Range report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-sis-custom-range-report-19863/)

Gatekeeper 11-07-2009 09:33 PM

Kimber SIS Custom--- Range report

Took out my fairly new-to-me SIS today for some practice.
Shooting MagTech 230gr FMJ
Top target 32rds aimed semi-rapid fire @ 21ft
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...romleather.jpg
Bottom target 32rds rapid fire from CC Holster @10ft dbls and triples
------------------------------
------------------------------
Mozambique Drills from CC holster. Draw DblTap bottom, aimed single Top, reholster/repeat
54rds @ 10ft
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...mbique10ft.jpg
Had 2shts go a little low(duct tape)and two a little high into the top target on the double tap, but not bad overall for point shooting doubles.
Was working on improving speed and accuracy from my Supertuck IWB cc holster. I need to work some more on trigger control as the flyers on aimed single target show. Rolled into the light trigger trying to go fast before getting front sight alignment right a few times (still trying to shake the Glock trigger muscle memory:D)
No major problems or malfunctions, however once when doing a slide lock reload, I had a round fail to go all the way into battery.
Any suggestions why?? Only time its done this---Recoil spring maybe?
I cleaned it before taking it out----Ken

Dillinger 11-07-2009 09:45 PM

That's some good shooting there brother. Nothing to be ashamed of with those targets.

What kind of rounds were you using? Hollowpoints? Or round nose? I would imagine they are round nose, but I don't know for sure.

Did it hang on the feed ramp? Or did it hang on the magazine lip?

The SIS comes with a polished feed ramp from Kimber. If it's clean, you should be table to take a cotton ball and rub it on the ramp and not have it snag or anything. That would be the first thing I would check.

Possibly dirty after all the quick fire drills?

Recoil spring could be a problem, but I highly doubt the weapon has that many rounds thru to make it a wear issue. Underpowered possibly?

Only one FTF from one mag? I might be tempted to run it for a few hundred more rounds, with multiple different mags, and see if it occurs again....

Nice shooting and nice pistol. :D

canebrake 11-07-2009 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
100 + rounds and one FTF?

With not knowing the context I'd guess a light load on the previous round, a hot or dirty rapid fire complication OR a tiring shooter limp wristing.

Attachment 7474

Did you shoot the SIS before or after breaking in the LCR?

This is not a fix for a limp wrist!

Attachment 7475

PS All kidding aside, great shooting!

If you are in doubt about the recoil spring, change it! A $7 piece of mind. Always measure your new spring and record the length dimension. Each cleaning I remeasure for relaxed condition. This is the easy way to discover a worn spring.

From the ISMI Gunspring site: "The recoil spring should be changed, at the latest, when it has lost 0.500” of free length from new. At this point, the spring has suffered a considerable reduction in load exerted at installed (when the gun is in battery)."

http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/

Gatekeeper 11-07-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 183498)
That's some good shooting there brother. Nothing to be ashamed of with those targets.

What kind of rounds were you using? Hollowpoints? Or round nose? I would imagine they are round nose, but I don't know for sure.

Did it hang on the feed ramp? Or did it hang on the magazine lip?

The SIS comes with a polished feed ramp from Kimber. If it's clean, you should be table to take a cotton ball and rub it on the ramp and not have it snag or anything. That would be the first thing I would check.

Possibly dirty after all the quick fire drills?

Recoil spring could be a problem, but I highly doubt the weapon has that many rounds thru to make it a wear issue. Underpowered possibly?

Only one FTF from one mag? I might be tempted to run it for a few hundred more rounds, with multiple different mags, and see if it occurs again....

Nice shooting and nice pistol. :D

Thanks!
Shooting Magtech 230gr FMJ roundnose.
I had the slide at lock. Inserted mag hit slide release lever. It looked like the round ran halfway up the ramp and stopped, so I dont know if ramp caused it or didn't release from mag lips. Honestly should have checked it out better so I dont know for sure. It was after around 120rds fired so it was probly fouling on the ramp. Not too concerned, just something I need to keep an eye on.
Now have 250rds through the 1911, and Im a believer. Traded the glock away the other day for the ElsieArr:D

Gatekeeper 11-07-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 183504)
100 + rounds and one FTF?

With not knowing the context I'd guess a light load on the previous round, a hot or dirty rapid fire complication OR a tiring shooter limp wristing.

Did you shoot the SIS before or after breaking in the LCR?

This is not a fix for a limp wrist!

It WAS after shooting the LCR
It was during a slide lock mag change not during firing.
Probly fouling related.
Dont think you can Limp wrist a reload can ya???:confused:
Funny pics as always Cane:D:D
Thanks

Gatekeeper 11-07-2009 10:50 PM

I think I'll change the spring anyway cause I can't be sure how many rounds have been fired through it or if the spring has been changed for a lighter one. It does have a straight trigger which I think is aftermarket, so who knows if the spring was changed or not.
What weight spring is suggested for 230gr practice and 230+P carry ammo??

canebrake 11-07-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 183505)
Now have 250rds through the 1911, and Im a believer. Traded the glock away the other day for the ElsieArr:D

Yes! Right there is the best use of a glock pistol I have ever heard!

God damn it, Gatekeeper! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Gatekeeper.

Dillinger 11-07-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 183505)

Another convert!!

You hear that GLOCK FANBOYS????

The 1911: The pistol every other pistol WISHES it could be!

Congrats on coming to the dark side and enjoying the tradition Gatekeeper.

Trading that damn Glock away was the best move you made this year... outside of buying that SIS. :cool:

IGETEVEN 11-07-2009 11:52 PM

Damn good shooting with that Kimber SIS, GateKeeper. Congrats on a 1911 choice!

The "Dark Side" awaits you, sir! :D

Jack

skullcrusher 11-07-2009 11:57 PM

Gate,

My brother, all your targets are dead bad guys. Not even a whimper. That is all you need. Keep in mind in a bg intrusion, you have the advantage of knowing your surroundings AND shooting lights out on a new dead guy. :D Remind me to never cross your comfort zone. :D