Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Iron sights 100yds (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/iron-sights-100yds-45963/)

PatC 07-29-2011 09:29 PM

Iron sights 100yds

Guys im shooting 100yds right now and putting 25 out of 25 round s in a 7" circle. AR A2 223 55GR. Iron sights, eyes 53 years old. Im I there or need a smaller circle?? I guess what im asking is how Im doing compared to you guys?? Pat C.

Sniper03 07-29-2011 09:49 PM

PAT,

Is this from a standing position? Or from a rest. Obviously that would make a difference. Then there are other issues like quality of ammunition, how much you have practiced and finally as some of us here on the FTF know well, it is called "Old Eyes" For someone with good eyes the iron sights are as accurate as any other type sight if the shooter practices and is proficient. As you probably know at Camp Perry they shoot 600 yards with the irons which is all they are allowed to use in the rifle competition. In the day I had two Match M-14s in the Army which in competition were very accurate with iron sights only. Today like many of us here we are significantly older and the old eyes are not what they use to be. I prefer optics these days but still can shoot the irons but not as good as I once did. So with that said when you asked the question there is a lot of factors that should be considered. A 7 inch group for most people off hand would certainly be a very decent group.

opaww 07-29-2011 10:27 PM

Hell I am lucky to hit the hill at the back of the range with or without scope. Iron sights you are doing ok.

JonM 07-29-2011 11:53 PM

a trick i use is to use whichever appears smaller either the sight or the target and split the larger of the two and center it. i focus on the very middle of the front sight.

chaser2020 07-30-2011 01:44 AM

They have the new microsight for High Power open sight.

jjfuller1 07-30-2011 01:54 AM

during bootcamp i cant count how many times we were told to focus on the CLEAR TIP OF THE FRONT SIGHT POST.. and split the target with that,, worked well for me...9 of ten on a wicked windy day at the 500yd line

diggsbakes 07-30-2011 03:24 AM

It really depends on your position. Prone, kneeling or rested 7" @ 100 yards is something I would settle for. . . but if you're standing or another off-handed stance, then you're doing above average. My AKs do about 8-10" when rested or prone.

wmille01 07-30-2011 05:46 AM

Aim small miss small, I have about the same group at 100yrds with my M14 I have about a 5 or 6" circle standing.

PatC 07-30-2011 02:57 PM

Hay thanks for the feedback!! Im on a bench so im thinking I need a smaller circle. Sniper about 300 or 400 rounds of american Eagle AE223 55 Gr. FMJ. JJ that brought back the basic training memories , 76 USAF then Security Police training!! Im putting the top of the front site at the bottom of the circle. If I move to the center I my get a click or two on my back sit. It bottomed out. Right??? Now im going ask this I knew it at one time but CRSRB has taken it. The rear sit has a large hole and a small hole . the large hole is for long distance and the small hole is for short distance Right??? It's been 30 years sence iv handled one So please cut me some slack till I get back up to speed. Thank you Pat C.

opaww 07-30-2011 03:20 PM

I believe it's the other way around small for long and large for close