You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

I got a new gun.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #31
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10883 Times on 6490 Posts
Likes Given: 16093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Nice gun Winds. I would not worry too much about the last round FTF until you've reached the break in period. Your owners manual should give you the round count for that.

I would suggest that you NOT buy a bunch of defense rounds until:

A. You've fully broken in the gun...and
B. You've fired several different brands/weights of deffense ammo to determine which of them function 100% and hit to point of aim.

There is a lot of marketing hype out there, most of which should be ignored. I'd suggest shooting the heaviest HP rounds that meet both reliability and POA/POI requirements.

Good luck and congrats on a beautiful SIG!

Tack
Most of the .380 ammo I've seen is 90 gr. I only bought one box of 25 rounds of Critical Defense. I hope that will last me a long time. I was shooting a very cheap brand of ammo yesterday. Maybe that could be it. I'm not too worried about it just yet.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #32

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
After much researching, reading, renting and asking everyone what they thought, I finally bought myself a small gun. I decided on the Sig P238 and I thought I would go for broke and get the "Lady" model.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-lady.aspx

I actually bought it in Monday but because I live in Illinois, I couldn't pick it up until today. So I went and got it and went right into the range with it. The gun shoots like a dream but it did seem to ftf with the last round in the mag. Not every time but more often than not. If anyone can offer suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Here is a couple pictures of my gun that I took with my cell phone.

A picture of my gun in hand to show you size. My hand is pretty small

Hopefully a better picture of my Sig P238.

Here is a stock photo.

And here is the target I shot up with this nice gun of mine. I shot about 40 rounds through her today. The target was set at 7 yards.
After seeing that target, remind me never to get you mad at me!

Cool little sig...

Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Nice! Both the gun and your target!

Just a thought, but the last FTF might be if you are "limp wristing" it slightly. My younger son was shooting the G27 the other day and experiencing several FTFs in one mag. I tried it out and had none. I had him firm up his wrist and the problem went away. Your grouping is nice so don't grip it tighter, just manage the recoil more firmly. Does that make sense?

How about you name it Sweet Pea?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Nice! Both the gun and your target!

Just a thought, but the last FTF might be if you are "limp wristing" it slightly. My younger son was shooting the G27 the other day and experiencing several FTFs in one mag. I tried it out and had none. I had him firm up his wrist and the problem went away. Your grouping is nice so don't grip it tighter, just manage the recoil more firmly. Does that make sense?

How about you name it Sweet Pea?
Yeah, I thought about the possibility of limp wristing, too, but why only on the last round in the mag? I'll pay more attention to that next time.

Sweat Pea is a very nice name. I will seriously consider that one. Nothing has quite hit me yet.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Yeah, I thought about the possibility of limp wristing, too, but why only on the last round in the mag? I'll pay more attention to that next time.

Sweat Pea is a very nice name. I will seriously consider that one. Nothing has quite hit me yet.
It only happens with the last round because the gun is lighter at that point so it can absorb less inertia. That's my theory anyhow. With my son and the Glock 27 we were trying out a high capacity magazine in it for the first time. The G27 is a subcompact so the 15-round mag puts a great deal of weight below the hand and seemed to make his hand into a fulcrum of sorts. I have a thousand rounds or so through that gun and this is the only time a FTF has happened. Anyhow, he firmed up his wrist and it went away. (and yes, we clean the Glock after shooting).

I have only named one of my guns and that was very recently. I named my new AR Herb after my friend who recently passed away and I bought it from his widow.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #36
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3866 Times on 2123 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ Here is the link to CDNN. Go to magazines.
http://www.remoraholsters.net/removefromcart.sc?shoppingCartItemId=9938FCC6-43AD-5FB0-7A9F-CFA72E40F1DB
I picked up the DeSantis at the lgs. The one for the bodyguard fits the P238 too.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #37

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Most of the .380 ammo I've seen is 90 gr. I only bought one box of 25 rounds of Critical Defense. I hope that will last me a long time. I was shooting a very cheap brand of ammo yesterday. Maybe that could be it. I'm not too worried about it just yet.
So now comes the tough part because you now HAVE TO go and shoot that expensive ammo!

All gun, especially small guns, function differently, "or not at all", with different loads.

It would really suck to need your gun and then discover that your carry load stove pipes every other round OR hits 6" left of your practice load.

You must know if your carry load hits POA/POI and that it functions reliably in your gun.

I typically buy a box of the bullet weight I want from 4 to 5 different manufacturers, shoot the all for accuracy and reliability testing. Of the brands that worked flawlessly, I pick the one with the best group that is closest to POA.

I know that at a buck a round this equates to another $100 to $125 but in the big picture, bullets are cheap, it's life that's hard to replace.

Have fun

Tack

Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #38

Liked 1471 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Winds, I'm so proud of you and your gun prowess! Ya see, I remember the WOC of yester-year. You have come a long way baby!

And what brings a smile to this crusty old face is that I may have played a small role in the transformation.

You rock girl! I got a new gun....... - Range Report

Great choice, great gun and great shooting!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Winds, I'm so proud of you and your gun prowess! Ya see, I remember the WOC of yester-year. You have come a long way baby!

And what brings a smile to this crusty old face is that I may have played a small role in the transformation.

You rock girl! I got a new gun....... - Range Report

Great choice, great gun and great shooting!
Oh, mygod!! Thank you so much, Cane. You are my "Daddy" on this forum. Well, you and C3. Robo is the big brother (he's not old enough to be my "Daddy"). You have played a huge roll in my growth. You have supported, encouraged and educated me with such patience, acceptance and understanding.

Yes, I have come a long way. I have asked a gazillion questions. And what is on the forum is only a fraction of it because I PM many questions to you guys, too. Every once in a while I say something and I can't believe that actually came out of me. It almost sounds like someone who might now a little something. And I am honest enough to know I only know a "little something" about guns compared to everyone here.

So, when is the weather decent enough for me to come shoot that BBQ gun down in Florida? Meeting you is on my bucket list, you know. And I'll even let you shoot my guns, too. I KNOW you don't have a Mark II as beautiful as mine.

And to think I considered selling my GP100 and forget about guns when the guy who introduced me to guns decided he didn't want to help me along anymore. I got a new gun....... - Range Report Thanks to you all here on FTF I have flourished. My sincere thank you to you all.

Such a compliment from Cane..........I can die happy now. I got a new gun....... - Range Report

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-16-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #40

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Nice purchase winds. Ya done good girl, ya done good. As much as I hate to admit it, the pink looks pretty good on it

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy