I call B/S
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > I call B/S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1087 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Default I call B/S

LIke I have said in previous post , we have a 45ac flooded rock quarry that is 450yrs bank to bank , the bench rest is about 50ft above the water with the range being @ water level . Just for giggles we got out the 9 - 38-357-40-44-45 -.17 -22lr . NONE would hit the other side , I would estimate a 50-100yrd short fall before the rounds just flopped into the water . So Im going to call big B/s on the 1.5 mile range written on the side of the ammo boxes . On the other hand I was very suprised how flat a 7.62x39 steel cased round will shoot . I could pick off a 3in diameter pole with iron sights @ 450 on a norinco sks . Out of all of the round that did not make it the .17 hmr suprised me the most @ its short falls , and i think the .22 lr made it the furthest , maybe the 17 just dont have enough ass behind it . I was almost sure I could at least thump some one in the head with one of the rounds at that distance

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great post. Don't know what I can add but very interesting.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
LIke I have said in previous post , we have a 45ac flooded rock quarry that is 450yrs bank to bank , the bench rest is about 50ft above the water with the range being @ water level . Just for giggles we got out the 9 - 38-357-40-44-45 -.17 -22lr . NONE would hit the other side , I would estimate a 50-100yrd short fall before the rounds just flopped into the water . So Im going to call big B/s on the 1.5 mile range written on the side of the ammo boxes . On the other hand I was very suprised how flat a 7.62x39 steel cased round will shoot . I could pick off a 3in diameter pole with iron sights @ 450 on a norinco sks . Out of all of the round that did not make it the .17 hmr suprised me the most @ its short falls , and i think the .22 lr made it the furthest , maybe the 17 just dont have enough ass behind it . I was almost sure I could at least thump some one in the head with one of the rounds at that distance
the 1.5 mile thing on the box lets ya know under ideal conditions with the proper elevation with the wind in the bullet's favour the round is capable of traveling up to that distance. never underestimate the power of murphy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Hitting the ground, or water in this case, because of gravity and running out of force, i.e. velocity are different. All bullets eventually arc downwards, when the round hit the water it still had velocity and forward momentum, it just ran out of room. Shoot the same round at a 45 degree angle to the water and see if it makes the other bank.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What about Elmer Keith shooting a deer at 600 yards with a 44mag?
Elmer wasn't lying: The truth about long range sixgunning - The Six Gunner | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

Old 05-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sooo, if I shoot straight out from the top of Mt. Everest is that where the manufacturers get the maximum range measurement? We're not going to do that bullet fired in space thing again!

Interesting post mobile! Something I've thought about for a long time.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
You sir are dead wrong.

First that would be a bullet fired at a 45* angle. First if you are shooting down hill that is going to be a problem as well. Plus a bullet starts to drop the instant it exits the barrel as well it starts losing velocity the millisecond it exits the barrel. You are missing so major factors in your equations. bullets NEVER EVER EVER rise above the line of the boar it is an impossibility. Bullets may raise in relation to the line of sight but never ever above the line of the boar.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You sir are dead wrong.

First that would be a bullet fired at a 45* angle. First if you are shooting down hill that is going to be a problem as well. Plus a bullet starts to drop the instant it exits the barrel as well it starts losing velocity the millisecond it exits the barrel. You are missing so major factors in your equations. bullets NEVER EVER EVER rise above the line of the boar it is an impossibility. Bullets may raise in relation to the line of sight but never ever above the line of the boar.
True, Your sight line and projectile intersect in 2 places. A fat chick is still fat even if your looking down! your sight line is at a lower angle then the bore and starts above it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ever watch Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel? Several weeks ago, Bob Munden popped a baloon at 600 yards with a 1911. Saw it on TV so it must be true.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Ever watch Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel? Several weeks ago, Bob Munden popped a baloon at 600 yards with a 1911. Saw it on TV so it must be true.
I have a sweet spot on my sights w/ my S&W 19-4 w/ a 6" barrel that makes it possible to actually take 100 yard shots at an 8" target possible w/ my 158gr hunting loads.
Not that I would hunt real game except for maybe coyotes or 2 legged vermin at that range.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.