Huh ? What ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Huh ? What ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1220 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Default Huh ? What ?

Shot my browning safari in a 7mag with the boss for the first time yesterday w/o ear plugs , I think I have ruined my last good ear . All i have to say is DAMN thats a loud one . Very accurate but loud , So loud I think if you missed the deer he would still die from the shock of hearing it , if he still fails to die you can give it up b/c you just scared off any living creature with in a 2 mile radius

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Always wear earplugs and eye protection. They even have ear muffs designed to be worn when hunting.

One shot can do it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Bold emphasis added

Always wear earplugs and eye protection. They even have ear muffs designed to be worn when hunting.

One shot can do it.
It is true that one shot can do it. This a transposed post of mine from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2

... [I]n late 2009, I went in to buy ammo in a local gunshop I had never been to before. I was looking around and they had quite a nice selection. There was one other customer in the store being helped by one of the clerks. The customer was one of these idiot people that knows nothing about guns and is looking to buy a cannon simply because it is hugh and scary. He was looking at that 500 Magnum from Smith, and some Corbon rounds for it.

Anyways, I get my ammo and I am at the register and BOOM!

The glass counter under the register explodes and the register tips, falling half way in the display case. I jump back and grap the grip of my 92 and I was about to draw when I realized that I could barely hear someone yelling, "oh sh*t, oh f*ck," and I see the idiot on the floor with the 500 at his feet.

The freaking clerk let the guy load the gun!

Then he fired a round about 2 feet from my position.

The police were called by the clerk behind the register and after everyone's statement was taken we were allowed to leave.

While I gave my statement I started hearing this unbelieveable piercing sound. It was driving me crazy.

It has pretty much gone away but if I hear a loud sudden sound the piercing sound returns for a time.
Now, at the range I wear earplugs and earmuffs at the same time in an attempt to prevent it.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@mesinge2

That ringing sound isn't gone and it never will be gone, your brain simply blocks it out because it deems it unneeded information. Sometime when you have some free time and you are somewhere realy quite, such as when you are going to bed, concentrate very carefully and you will more than likely still be able to hear the ringing. Once the damage is done it is done for good and your ears do not heal, any and all hearing loss through damage is permanant.... So they say anyway (they being doctors).

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9769

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Shot my browning safari in a 7mag with the boss for the first time yesterday w/o ear plugs , I think I have ruined my last good ear . All i have to say is DAMN thats a loud one .
Why the heck would you do that?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

Liked 1220 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 621

well th only time i USE to wear muffs is when shooting the snubbie 357 , heck even when shooting the 300 winmag it wasnt that bad , im thinking the muzzle brake had a lot to do with it . kinda funny since i only stick my finger in one ear

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Shot my browning safari in a 7mag with the boss for the first time yesterday w/o ear plugs , I think I have ruined my last good ear . All i have to say is DAMN thats a loud one . Very accurate but loud , So loud I think if you missed the deer he would still die from the shock of hearing it , if he still fails to die you can give it up b/c you just scared off any living creature with in a 2 mile radius
That was STUPID.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My dad is one of those old-timers who never shot with ear muffs or ear plugs. Now he gets made fun of all the time at family events and he has no idea The only time I don't wear them is when I'm hunting. Most of the time it's only one shot, and I'm leery about those ear muffs they say can be used for hunting and only block out the loud noises...guess I should try them before I knock them though.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why in the world would you ever shoot without hearing protection? That makes as much sense as sticking your hand in a fire and complaining about getting burned.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya did that once to damn ringing lasted for two days

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."