Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Home range and neighbors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home range and neighbors

So I live in a "rural community" and everything is in my favor on my home range except the noise bothering neighbors. I have 2 acres and I will be firing at my backstop from inside my built in garage. the target is 25 yards from my shooting position and I am 10-15 yards INSIDE the garage. shooting a 22lr it would be completely silent no one would here it but I want to shoot my shotgun I'm getting and i don't think it would bother anybody with #7 birdshot. They also make subsonic bird shot....any ideas or thoughts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6635 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7875

Maybe if you talk to the neighbours you can find a time when it wouldn't bother them so much. Maybe agree to shoot no more than an hour at a time. Or only between the hours of noon and 1700. That being said, if you are doing everything legal, then maybe they'll just have to put up with a little noise.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's only problem with the noise because of particular neighbors that call the cops if a fly farts......I wouldn't be doing anything wrong but I the officer would just say yeah keep it down or something like that but that's annoying

How much louder is birdshot then a 22lr that's what I need to know I think

Last edited by 500to22nut; 12-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

If your community has no noise ordinances people can call all they want. The police will arrive, take a report and drive off. One woman in our area has called 911 hundreds of times. Finally the sheriffs department pressed charges on her for calling 911 when there was no emergency.

This is just waffle house rumor. The deputies warned her several times that noise is not an emergency. To call the sheriffs dept directly. The charges are real her case was posted in the weekly rag.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It might save you some hassle to let the local copshop know beforehand that you will be plinking, so they will know what is up if they get a complaint. Maybe write them a note on a box of donuts and drop them off, the first time you plink.

Be sure to use some hearing protection if you are shooting a shotty inside a garage, ouch.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Gone_South Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We live in the county where it's legal to discharge firearms. We have a neighbor with plenty of land that shoots much larger caliber than .22lr and I have no problem with it.

I just wish they would wait until after 6:00-7:00 AM to shoot.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
It might save you some hassle to let the local copshop know beforehand that you will be plinking, so they will know what is up if they get a complaint. Maybe write them a note on a box of donuts and drop them off, the first time you plink.

Be sure to use some hearing protection if you are shooting a shotty inside a garage, ouch.
Thanks I think that's a great idea!

Keep em comin y'all

Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #8

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The only problem I ever had with neighbors shooting was when they started at 6 AM on a Saturday and continued until 9 PM that night with a short break for lunch. I called the local sheriff department (which is what put an end to their session at 9 PM) and filed a report when the deputy arrived. And no, I didn't attempt to talk to them first. I have my reasons.I knew the guy personally and approaching him even in a courteous manner could have set him off.

The biggest courtesy you can probably give them is to not do it at unreasonable times, or an unreasonable amount. I would think most people at or around mid afternoon for an hour or two works be perfectly fine. But it's a great courtesy to ask.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500to22nut View Post
So I live in a "rural community" and everything is in my favor on my home range except the noise bothering neighbors. I have 2 acres and I will be firing at my backstop from inside my built in garage. the target is 25 yards from my shooting position and I am 10-15 yards INSIDE the garage. shooting a 22lr it would be completely silent no one would here it but I want to shoot my shotgun I'm getting and i don't think it would bother anybody with #7 birdshot. They also make subsonic bird shot....any ideas or thoughts
Sub sonic bird-shot? Did I miss a memo? I don't think that there are "stealth" shotgun shells, and you will see the difference in sound level when you touch one off in your garage. I think that you would do better to get your neighbor over to shoot with you. If he likes it he may not care about the noise. Kinda on the same principal as inviting your neighbor over to a loud party

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Maybe if you talk to the neighbours you can find a time when it wouldn't bother them so much. Maybe agree to shoot no more than an hour at a time. Or only between the hours of noon and 1700. That being said, if you are doing everything legal, then maybe they'll just have to put up with a little noise.

Well, You could do that too.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."