Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Home/Personal Defense Gun Shootout (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/home-personal-defense-gun-shootout-26485/)

diggsbakes 04-26-2010 02:13 AM

Home/Personal Defense Gun Shootout

So today was gonna be snubbie day, but I switched it at the last minute to current/primary personal/home defense gun the Ruger SP101 .357 vs. past hopeful Springfield XD 5" Tactical .40 cal.

I warmed up as usual with my most accurate handgun the Single-six. Once I shot 2 perfect rounds, consisting of 2 shots each on 3 targets of different shapes, but similar size (8x8) spread out along the berm at a distance of 25 yards, off-hand, I then proceeded to break out the greater weapons.

First I shot 100 rounds through the XD. I (or it) started out strong (80-90% hits @ 15 yards, but then started getting results consisting of 8/10 down to 6/10 at my worst. :mad:

I relaxed for a bit then broke out the SP101 .357. I dry fired the gun 15-20 times to get me back in the feel of its DA pull and then began shooting .38 special loads. I shot at multiple targets from about 15 yards and after the 3rd or 4th cylinder, began getting consistent hits. After 50 rounds I switched to 125 grain PMC .357. By the end of that box I was hitting the steel 5/5 times at 15 and even 4/5 out to 20 yards. This is with a 3-1/16" barrel.

So what ya'll think? Stick to the wheel guns or keep the XD and keep trying to shoot it perfectly. I'd hate to keep a gun that I can't shoot up to standard. I can shoot a revolver with 1/2 the barrel length as (or more) effective than a pistol with more capacity.

After my session I spoke w/ a fellow (near master) hand-gunner and was offered a help session next time out w/ the XD. He told me not to give up on it, but if the wheelie's are working for me why not nurture it more?

Rick1967 04-26-2010 02:29 AM

Not everyone can shoot everything perfectly. Practice all that you can. And know your limitations. I have a Sigma in 40. While I love the gun, I can not shoot it like my revolvers. Lets face it, most self defense shootings happen at an arms length. When you say you hit 6/10 I am guessing you were shooting at small targets. If you were missing full sized silhouetes at that range perhaps a revolver is the way to go.

CA357 04-26-2010 04:21 PM

I shoot most handguns fairly well and pretty accurately. However, I shoot my 1911 the best of all.

This is not a 1911 fanboy post, I'm just saying that out of several handguns, there is one that I naturally shoot better than the rest.

It sounds to me like the Ruger is your more natural shooter.

diggsbakes 04-28-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 276261)
I shoot most handguns fairly well and pretty accurately. However, I shoot my 1911 the best of all.

This is not a 1911 fanboy post, I'm just saying that out of several handguns, there is one that I naturally shoot better than the rest.

It sounds to me like the Ruger is your more natural shooter.

That's what I'm thinking. . . When I'm hot, those revolvers feel like the belong in my hand, the pistols (while really fun to shoot) has always required more effort. I also shoot 1911's very well. Every time my Dad comes up for a visit he treats me to a marathon shooting of his custom 1911's. While I love to shoot them, I'm a lefty so I would never purchase one unless every feature was fully accessible to with out extra effort.

Until then I'll stick to the wheelies. :)

CA357 04-28-2010 03:57 AM

There ya' go. :cool:

skidmark 04-29-2010 04:03 PM

I'm just wondering if you spent too much time at the range. (Strange thought, that, isn't it?)

2 perfect rounds of 2 hits each on 3 targets out at 25 yards with the Single Six.
100 rounds through the XD.
50 rounds of .38spec, then 50 more of .357 (even with a short break between the XD and the SP101)

Or maybe it was that you did not have a specific objective for the range trip, except to shoot?

I'm just asking, because when I go to the range I have a complete training session lined up. Single action 20+ yards head shots with the snubbie, or draw from concealment 3-to-the-chest/2-to-the-head on 3x5 index cards at 3 yards, or my buddy running the reel-in line while I shoot a charging target to the ground, or working off the X to cover, or something else. But I have one drill, broken down into the constituent steps, that I work on. I try to have someone observe/critique me so if there is a specific step I need to improve I can find out.

Of course there are also the range trips when I haul out just about everything from the safe and throw lead downrange. I'm sure the toys appreciate it, and I do have a blast.

stay safe.

skidmark

diggsbakes 04-30-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 277937)
Or maybe it was that you did not have a specific objective for the range trip, except to shoot?

Perfection. . . ;)