Home loads at the range - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Home loads at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've been to an indoor range where they checked for steel ammo.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have never once had anyone inspect my ammo for handloads and I am in CA. I just checked the local county-owned range and their rules say nothing about handloads. I have gone shooting there and I have used handloads exclusively with no issues. I wonder if it is something that the insurance company requires or is the range owner just paranoid? I would ask if I were you.

The indoor range I mentioned does require that you purchase ammo for their rental guns and you must use that only, but from what I understand that is typical of most rental ranges.

Here is a link to the Santa Clara County public range. This is one of the most restrictive counties in the state.

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/Play%20Here/Pages/Field-Sports-Park.aspx
Thanks for the info!! I'm on the other side of the Country and range rules are likely different somewhat!! I'll do some research or not go back!! Awesome gun store though!!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

now i don't shoot at public ranges anymore and haven't in many years, but several times this has come up on this forum about some ranges not allowing a person to use reloads.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i usually move several benches down from folks that are bragging about power levels and handloading...

im not a fan of sitting next to folks playing hot potato with grenades

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2968 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
New range that just opened, checked ammo that I brought for home loads!! They only allow factory ammo on there range!! Been to several ranges and this was the first time my ammo was checked!! Is this standard range bylaws or an exception to range rules? I don't load my own ammo but didn't really care for the ammo check!!
The local indoor ranges here check all ammo that will be used on their range. They are looking for any steel core ammo that has the potential to damage the backstops. They run a magnet over pretty much all of it. As for reloads, never an issue.

FWIW, privately owned ranges can implement any rules they wish. Even stupid or intrusive ones. When they get really dumb, business will suffer & maybe they will learn.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

At every indoor range I've been to they only allow factory ammo. But the outdoor range at my club allows reloads.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #17

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91
At every indoor range I've been to they only allow factory ammo. But the outdoor range at my club allows reloads.
And why is reloads not aloud in indoor ranges?? Has to be a liability issue??

Old 06-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
And why is reloads not aloud in indoor ranges?? Has to be a liability issue??
could be a liability issue. someone getting hurt and fear of a lawsuit.

many years ago when i lived in Houston, i shot at few indoor pistol ranges and i don't think they ever checked my ammo that i recall.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

its a liability issue and lots of ranges dont want the hassle of people overstuffing the cartridges or not powering them with enough powder and causing kabooms. you then have to deal with hazmat cleanup crews, ambulancs and police to scrape blood pee and poop off the walls and floor and ceiling when someone grenades their gun.

yes reloading is safe for the majority of folks but there ARE retards out there that think its ok (grandpappy george did it just fine for 7 decades...) to cram as much H110 into a 45-70 as they can to get the bullet to go "faster" when its comming out of an old rolling block rifle...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

There are several ranges around where I live. The outdoor ranges don't care what you shoot. But 2 of the indoor ranges insist that you buy their ammo to shoot on the range. It's all FMJ ammo, to reduce lead contamination. It's a little irritating, but that's becoming more and more a requirement, thanks to the environment "protection" freaks.