Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Help me find out what im doing wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkendlight88 View Post
the target above is the mirrored one. it says left handed in the center
Damn. My bad bro. I have seen this thread so many times I already assumed that you had the standard Right hand target. I'm a Muppet.

Okay, are you shooting with the pad of your finger on the trigger, or are you shooting with the joint of the first finger on the trigger? Because that can make a difference for a lot of folks.

The only two Ruger Semi Auto pistols I have ever fired had horrible stock triggers. Since this is a new gun, I am assuming it's stock and it's possible that the long trigger pull could be giving you more time than you really need, which could result in the "Jerking" of the trigger.

This being your first firearm - I think you shot pretty damn well, to be honest. You didn't know the weapon, you didn't know the ammo, you haven't got a ton of range time under your belt, and you only put 150 rounds through a brand new piece. That target would be a dead bad guy all day long, so concentrate on the positives.

I would recommend some dry fire practice. A lot of it. And some of it with your eyes closed or a sleeping mask on, so you can see, in your mind, what the trigger is doing and when it's going to break ( fire ). Once you get a conditioned memory response down to the trigger, I think that you will have better luck with live rounds.

Schedule some dry fire, really pay attention to how fire you have to pull the trigger, then give some live rounds a try. I bet you improve with familiarity.

Good shooting though. The potentional is definitely there...

JD

Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #12

If I were you I would start by taking a handgun class. They will be able to teach you the basics and get you off and running in the right direction.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #13

i did notice that i was using my joint to pull the trigger. ill have to work on that. if i could just raise the group and tighten it a little ill be happy. but like you said i dont think a BG will complain that i didnt have a 1" grouping in his chest. my problem with dry firing is that at home i know the gun isnt going to go off so i dont expect any recoil. but maybe practicing with no live ammo alot will cause muscle memory to take over once i do use live ammo

Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Some of the rounds were in the center of the target. Do you recall when, during your session, you scored these hits? Were they scattered throughout, at the beginning, in the middle, at the end, or after a rest?

My first piece of advice would be to try to find someone with experience to watch you shoot. We can all make guesses by looking at your target, but someone who can see what you're doing might have better guidance.

My second piece of advice is to change targets more often. That makes it easier to see how you're progressing.

Dry firing is great practice. Here's a training idea to add to your dry fire practice. Balance a coin or a spent shell casing (not a live round) on the top of your gun near the muzzle. Then practice dry firing until you can squeeze the trigger without dropping your "training aid."

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I haven't read all the posts so if this topic is already covered then it is my mistake. What eye are you using to shoot with? If you're left handed and shooting with your right eye you could have some problems. I was running a range in the Army where we had to put a patch on a left-handed, right-eye-dominant individual to get them accustomed to shooting with their left eye instead of their right. That person basically had the same problem you had. Also, I saw about using the meaty part of your finger tip instead of the joint and proper breath control. Both of those will help out as well.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #16

the rounds in the center were just scattered throughout my time at the range. its funny you mention the right eye dominant thing kusterleXD. i noticed that i was doing that at the range. i never even knew i was right eye dominant. i tried shooting with my left eye but my shots became worse so i resorted to going back to my right eye. do you think it would get better with practice. oh and utf59 i can easily balance a spent shell on the muzzle without it dropping. i was thinking it was because i know that the gun isnt going to go off

Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. If your shooting got worse using your left eye then use your right. The best thing you can do short of getting formal instruction is to be relaxed and comfortable shooting. Just getting familiarized with your firearm and how it handles will allow you to relax quite a bit.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That could easily be the case. There are a number of ways to fight that, but they all boil down to practice. Anticipating recoil was one of my favorite mistakes, even when shooting something that didn't have much recoil.

You might try a range session of squeezing the trigger s-l-o-w-l-y. Then you might notice when you begin to anticipate the recoil and still be able to adjust before you finish pulling the trigger.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #19

thanks everyone! i think i was definitely anticipating the recoil. after squeezing the trigger slowly i could see that i was leaning forward a little in anticipation of the recoil. ill have to work on that but thanks again for eveyones help