Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Help me find out what im doing wrong (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/help-me-find-out-what-im-doing-wrong-18764/)

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 05:23 AM

Help me find out what im doing wrong

so i took my first firearm to the shooting range today which is a ruger p95, and fired 150 rounds. i am left handed and im shooting down and right. according to the target i was shooting at i am jerkining or slapping trigger, and breaking wrist down, pushing forward or drooping head. im not sure what those mean or how to fix them. can anyone help me out. btw this was at 5 yards. i know its not too good but first time out so be easy on me http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...redownload.jpg

Gojubrian 10-02-2009 06:13 AM

I'll give what limited advice I know to give. Many here are more knowledgable than I and will be able to help you improve.

How are you standing? Get a good solid base and posture forward with the pistol aligned with the bones in your arm. Extend your arm to where your shoulder is directly behind it in your shooting stance.

When are you firing? Breathe, let most of the air out then 'press' the trigger before you inhale again.

Hope this helps.

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 07:20 AM

as far as stance here is what i was doing. i was squaring up with my legs at shoulder length with feet pointed forward. i had my knees slightly bent, and my upper body leaning forward. as far as my arms go i had them like you say. but i wasnt paying much attention to my breathing. that might help, thanks!

Jess 10-02-2009 10:23 AM

I don't shoot squared to the target, it makes me feel unbalanced. And then I would start slowly and work your way up to shooting super fast. Take the time to fire right each time seperately and work your way to shooting quicker (if that is a goal you have) as for the wrist breaking you might try benchrest shooting with your wrists supported at first. my .380 is really snappy and I used to have some problems with that so now instead of pulling the trigger I try to squeeze it into my hand works for me but you should listen to the old-timers they have way more experience than me:D

NGIB 10-02-2009 10:42 AM

It really looks like your just mainly shooting low. What type of sight picture are you using? I'm old school so I was trained to use the 6 o'clock hold but most newish guns are set to use the point of aim (POA) hold.

The 6 o'clock hold means you align and level the front sights at the bottom of your intended target - akin to the 6 o'clock position on a clock. The POA hold means you align and level the sights exactly at the desired point of impact - the center of the clock so to speak...

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 07:03 PM

i was definiely using the POA hold

Dillinger 10-02-2009 07:26 PM

For a left handed shooter, you have to mirror the page, or turn it over, so you are actually gripping the pistol too hard when you are shooting.

That target was designed for Right Handed shooters - just reverse he information. :D

JD

darkendlight88 10-02-2009 08:14 PM

the target above is the mirrored one. it says left handed in the center

jeepcreep927 10-02-2009 09:09 PM

At least you're consistant. Anticipation would generally have you shooting low and right if you're left handed. Concentrate on your trigger squeeze. Every shot should surprise you, within reason of course. You know while you are squeezing the trigger the weapon is going to fire, but you should not make it fire, if that makes sense. Try having someone else load your magazines and throw a few dummy rounds in them. You will definitely see that you are dipping the front sight in anticipation of the recoil, but with live rounds you don't notice it as the instant you do it, the weapon fires and recoil drives the muzzle back up. Also, during your dry fire excercises, try balancing an empty case on the top of the slide at the muzzle. You should be able to complete your trigger squeeze without the case falling off the slide. Practice dry fire, alot.

Since your group seems pretty well centered, ensure your sight picture is correct. Front sight post centered in the rear sight notch, all three level across the top, focus on the front sight and cut your target in half with the front sight (point of aim, as NGIB stated).

Flint Rock 10-02-2009 09:46 PM

Your group looks good and tight to me, that's the main thing. Consistancy is very important in shooting, maybe the most important thing. You didn't hit exactly where you were aiming, but that's okay. 150 rounds in a group that small is a great starting point.
Sights and sight pictures are not an exact science that can be factory preset to suit every shooter perfectly. That's why we have adjustable sights. Even fixed sights can usually be drift adjusted with a small punch. Try a little rear sight drift to the left, and open the range up to 15 yards, I think you will be impressed with your grouping.