Health hazard at the range - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Health hazard at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

C3 in my years in undergroud mines It was not air flow that worried me. It was the "Tommy Knockers" that concerned me. You can hear them at a mile down.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Yes, you want the air moving AWAY from you- from shooter towards the target. And what do I expect for $10? NOT to get lead poisoning!

Re: Tommyknockers- yep. Been a mile down in the Lucky Friday over in Idaho, and more than a mile and a half in the Homestake. When the walls start talking, you better listen!

For coal, concerned with ventilation due to use of continuous miners, methane- everything BEHIND us is coated with safety dust, but want the air sweeping the working face. Sometimes when you start robbing pillars your great ventilation plan quits being so great.

Have had operators that want to argue about airflow- clap gloves in beam of your cap lamp, dust goes wrong way- they shut up.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder if using those all copper bullets designed for indoor ranges would help? I realize your shooting isn't causing the entire problem, but maybe you could limit the gunk in your immediate area while you are there.

I also think shooting with a full-on gas mask might be useful training and kinda cool.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #24

I worked on some projects at the Homestake in Deadwood. Our Hydl. shop was at 1,200 Ft. The bottom at the time when I transfered was 7,200 ft. The wall temp was 130 degrees. My time was 1980-1987. I think it shut down at 9,200 ft.?It is now an underground Government project?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The copper plated bullets can help, but do not change that the PRIMERS put out a puff of lead. The NT ammo is made to be lead emission free.

Durango- used to know Paul Sterke who was Powder Boss for Homestake.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

So, what is a tommy knocker other than another terrible story by that hack stephen king??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

First, understand that they have been mining in parts of Corwall and Germany for over 1000 years. The Tommynockers are a breed of supernatural creatures that live in the deep recesses of the mines. They make their presence known by "knocking" or tapping on the walls of the mine shaft. BTW, rocks under stress that are about to pop or blow out also make that sound, so if you hear the Tommyknockers, best pay attention.

For your education (who said this place does not get off track now and then?)

Tommyknockers actually have nothing to do with aliens as Stephen King would have you believe. According to the legends, they are 2 foot tall dwarves that live in mines. They dress just like miners, have long beards, oversized heads, arms that reach the ground, age-worn wrinkled skin and are said to be very ugly. They also go by the names Knockers, Coblynau, Kobolds, Wichtlein (German for Little Wights), Berggeister (little ghosts) and Bergmannlien (little miners). They are similar to Irish Leprachauns and English Brownies.

Are Tommyknockers good or bad?
Tommyknockers are good or bad depending on the miner involved. If the miner is liked, the Tommyknockers will help him out in different ways. He will most often be warned of a coming mine shaft collapse by the Tommyknockers' standard method of knocking on the walls. Other times the miner will be pointed in the direction of a valuable vein of ore. In turn for these deeds, many miners leave gifts of food for the Tommyknockers. If the miner is unliked by the Tommyknockers, they will cause much mischief to torment the miner. Tales of missing tools and food are common and others have blamed Tommyknockers for deadly mine-shaft cave-ins and fires.

Strong beliefs by the Cornish
The belief in Tommyknockers was so strong that the Cornish miners emigrating from England to California would not go into a mine shaft until they were assured by management that the Tommyknockers had already started the job. The Cornish miners, who were highly skilled at their trade, all believed the Tommyknockers to be a good partner to have around. The belief in these little creatures lasted into relatively modern times. In 1956, a large California mine closed its doors and sealed shut the mine entrance. The Cornish workers actually had a petition passed around and signed demanding that the entrance be opened to let the Tommyknockers out so they could resume working in another mine. The management agreed and all was settled.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, understand that they have been mining in parts of Corwall and Germany for over 1000 years. The Tommynockers are a breed of supernatural creatures that live in the deep recesses of the mines. They make their presence known by "knocking" or tapping on the walls of the mine shaft. BTW, rocks under stress that are about to pop or blow out also make that sound, so if you hear the Tommyknockers, best pay attention.

For your education (who said this place does not get off track now and then?)

Tommyknockers actually have nothing to do with aliens as Stephen King would have you believe. According to the legends, they are 2 foot tall dwarves that live in mines. They dress just like miners, have long beards, oversized heads, arms that reach the ground, age-worn wrinkled skin and are said to be very ugly. They also go by the names Knockers, Coblynau, Kobolds, Wichtlein (German for Little Wights), Berggeister (little ghosts) and Bergmannlien (little miners). They are similar to Irish Leprachauns and English Brownies.

Are Tommyknockers good or bad?
Tommyknockers are good or bad depending on the miner involved. If the miner is liked, the Tommyknockers will help him out in different ways. He will most often be warned of a coming mine shaft collapse by the Tommyknockers' standard method of knocking on the walls. Other times the miner will be pointed in the direction of a valuable vein of ore. In turn for these deeds, many miners leave gifts of food for the Tommyknockers. If the miner is unliked by the Tommyknockers, they will cause much mischief to torment the miner. Tales of missing tools and food are common and others have blamed Tommyknockers for deadly mine-shaft cave-ins and fires.

Strong beliefs by the Cornish
The belief in Tommyknockers was so strong that the Cornish miners emigrating from England to California would not go into a mine shaft until they were assured by management that the Tommyknockers had already started the job. The Cornish miners, who were highly skilled at their trade, all believed the Tommyknockers to be a good partner to have around. The belief in these little creatures lasted into relatively modern times. In 1956, a large California mine closed its doors and sealed shut the mine entrance. The Cornish workers actually had a petition passed around and signed demanding that the entrance be opened to let the Tommyknockers out so they could resume working in another mine. The management agreed and all was settled.
i knew there had to be a cool story behind it. stephen king is an @sshat for turning a cool thing into space aliens. its one reason amongst many i cant stand that guy.

so do you feed them when you go in the mine?? would be a good idea... ya never know

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #29

C3 very good. I know it was off subject. Are they real? If you are 7,000 Ft. down in the Hole and the walls are talking? Yes they are real. kind of anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #30

Jon to answer your question. Yes I have seen small offerings and candles left in the Stopes.