Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Health hazard at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1446 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Thank you so much, buying a bag for me and my dad. . .
There may be other masks you should look at. I just linked the first one that Google offered.
Here’s another: http://library-dust.com/moldex_2730.htm

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #12

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

2nd A spitout the Life Saver. Our local indoor pistol range is well vented and they allow Black Powder firearms. The range has an air monitor. The range venting and dust controls are always checked. Lead dust fills the air in poorly vented ranges. And yes it will cause a sweet taste and a mild burning in the nose and eyes. I have 2 friends they are avid cowboy shooters. Both of them just found out they have very high lead levels.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #13

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Actually once I got the "N100" keyword I found the mask you originally linked on another website that had cheaper shipping. It was the most highly rated and some people were saying they bought it precisely for indoor shooting. I'd like to get a blood check but it's pretty expensive and there's nothing I can really do about it if my levels are indeed elevated, I just have to wait it out and not go shooting until my mask arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
2nd A spitout the Life Saver. Our local indoor pistol range is well vented and they allow Black Powder firearms. The range has an air monitor. The range venting and dust controls are always checked. Lead dust fills the air in poorly vented ranges. And yes it will cause a sweet taste and a mild burning in the nose and eyes. I have 2 friends they are avid cowboy shooters. Both of them just found out they have very high lead levels.
At least I didn't get burning in my nose and my eyes but I'm definitely going to be careful. And yeah people are in there shooting all day, they have shooting classes and based on the smell, the air is barely recycled. Apparently lead is eliminated slowly in urine, bowels and exercise (tomorrow is my workout day and I'll be drinking plenty of water )

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-10-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #14

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is not that easy. Lead poison is a very seriouse disease. In fact once a Doctor defines the illness he must report it to your State Health Dept. The State makes sure that you get treatment.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #15

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
If I brought it up to the range's attention, all I would get is a whistle blower reputation and nothing would really be done.
make an anonymous call to the Health Dept

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
It is not that easy. Lead poison is a very seriouse disease. In fact once a Doctor defines the illness he must report it to your State Health Dept. The State makes sure that you get treatment.
I'd rather not have my name on any State health list Next thing you know for my own health I won't be allowed to own guns, you never know what the government can come up with for people's safety. I don't spend a lot of time at the range though, considering .45ACP is pretty expensive I shoot between 100 and 150 rounds about every week and it goes down fairly quickly with my 4x 8rd magazines.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #17

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Thank you so much, buying a bag for me and my dad. Trust me I wish I could "troubleshoot" a little more but my options are severely restricted where I am. I'm pretty sure that whatever is causing my symptoms is airborne, it could be lead, powder, whatever cleaners they use; regardless I think a mask will do the trick. I will post back and update this thread when I try it out
I assumed you talked to the proprietor of the indoor range? If so, what was his reply?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #18

Under different circumstances I would but I know they won't do anything about it, there's no cheap/easy fix. Once in a while you'll see a customer wearing a mask so that's an implicit way of letting them know. The range fee is $10 so they'll tell me that for the price I can't complain lol.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #19

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

If a primer is not a corrosive, or one of the new NT primers, it is based on lead. Usually lead azide or lead styphanate. Lead CAN cause a sweet taste (that's why kids eat paint chips, and the Romans aged wine in lead lined containers)

If you have facial hair other than a mustache shorter than corners of mouth, do not expect any standard respirator to work. Be sure to wash exposed skin after shooting, before eating, smoking, drnking or applying makeup (Chapstick is makeup) Do not expect a 99 cent dust mask to stop airborne lead.

Quick and dirty non scientific ventilation check- Next time you go to range. take a very small amount of baby powder with you. While at the line, put a pencil eraser sized amount of powder is one hand, clap hands, LOOK at where airborne powder goes- away from you, to you, or just hangs there.

We use that technique in underground mines to check airflow- clap gloves, look at where dust moves.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #20

Thanks a lot for all the info C3, regarding where the powder goes, which one would be a sign of elevated amount of lead? Hangs there & to you?