Health hazard at the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Health hazard at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Health hazard at the range

Hey everyone,
I've noticed something these past few weeks when going to the range and it can't be a coincidence. After a few minutes spent at the range (indoors), I get a sweet taste in my mouth. What comes to mind is lead exposure. Reading online, some are saying that it's caused by the powder burning, others are blaming it on the lead itself.

Two questions:
-What is it that I'm tasting?
-What masks do you guys recommend? (has to be reusable and affordable)? I value my health and I couldn't care less about people laughing at me at the range, they won't be paying for my medical bills if I get sick.

Thanks

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Just some questions:

Is it an indoor range or an outdoor range. Possible ventilation issue.

Only happens a/t range? Any other ranges nearby? Does it make a difference?

Happens with any ammo?

How often do you shoot? Possible increasing sensitivity to ammunition by-products.

Have you changed any medication recently?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not on any medication. It's an indoor range and I get the sweet taste before I even fire my gun. I shoot the same kind of ammunition all the time though. I shoot mostly once a week, sometimes I'll go 9 days without shooting. I don't feel sick when I'm there but I don't want to wait until I'm sick to do something. The ventilation based on my judgement is poor but I don't really have a choice because the next closest range is twice the distance... If I brought it up to the range's attention, all I would get is a whistle blower reputation and nothing would really be done which is why I'm interesting in getting a mask.
Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Its a ventilation issue.

Schedule an appointment at your doctors to have a blood lead level check.

Headaches? Memory loss? Difficulty urinating?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #5

I've had a little headache but it could be due to the crazy traffic on the way back, no memory loss (as far as I know lol), no problems urinating.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not on any medication. It's an indoor range and I get the sweet taste before I even fire my gun. I shoot the same kind of ammunition all the time though. I shoot mostly once a week, sometimes I'll go 9 days without shooting. I don't feel sick when I'm there but I don't want to wait until I'm sick to do something. The ventilation based on my judgement is poor but I don't really have a choice because the next closest range is twice the distance... If I brought it up to the range's attention, all I would get is a whistle blower reputation and nothing would really be done which is why I'm interesting in getting a mask. Thanks!
You need to isolate your variables one by one. Is it the range, the smoke & powder, the noise, or an interaction between other environmental factors?

Find someplace outside you can shoot. Even if it’s just a couple of times. If it occurs outside, it’s not the range. It’s you. If it doesn’t, it’s the range. If it also occurs at the other range, it’s being at indoor ranges. If it doesn't, it's definitively your local range. Maybe the floor cleaner or something.

Do you shoot at the same time when you shoot? What happens if you change the time you when shoot?

What happens if you visit the range without intending to shoot? Do you still get the taste in your mouth?

Isolate your variables. Gabish?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #7

I don't see sound causing a taste in my mouth , also the ear protection I use works very well. I've gone to the range anywhere from 12PM to 7PM after eating, before eating. It sounds like you're trying to associate the act of shooting with stress causing the taste; while it's a smart theory I REALLY doubt that's the case. Living in Chicago, I'd have to drive like 3 hours to find an outdoor range which is just not feasible. Also I just looked up a review of the range online and some people are saying there's a very strong smell of lead (indeed there is) and that it's in overall dirty. I am not trying to answer my own question but it's also why I'm asking if there's any masks people recommend? I don't want to look like I'm stepping into Fukushima either.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #8

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I know the sweet taste you're talking about, very annoying and nothing you can to to get rid of it besides wait it out. I had it just the other day after cleaning the bathroom with some toxic spray stuff...

Aside from getting a full blown respirator, the only thing I can recommend is hit Home Deopt or Lowe's and grab some of their dust masks. It's not going to keep everything out but it's better than nothing. I believe they make several kinds now. I used them in the field when I was drilling and they do make quite a bit of difference. That lead is serious stuff, don't take any chances. Make sure they have the nose "thingy" so you can adjust the fit...sorry about the technical terms...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I don't see sound causing a taste in my mouth , also the ear protection I use works very well. I've gone to the range anywhere from 12PM to 7PM after eating, before eating. It sounds like you're trying to associate the act of shooting with stress causing the taste; while it's a smart theory I REALLY doubt that's the case. Living in Chicago, I'd have to drive like 3 hours to find an outdoor range which is just not feasible. Also I just looked up a review of the range online and some people are saying there's a very strong smell of lead (indeed there is) and that it's in overall dirty. I am not trying to answer my own question but it's also why I'm asking if there's any masks people recommend? I don't want to look like I'm stepping into Fukushima either.
I appreciate your skepticism of other causes. I was just being thorough. I wasn’t suggesting you make a practice of going to the other range and/or shoot outside, just enough to determine if it was your range absolutely, or not. It sounds like it probably is poor ventilation. You might consider a lead test.

About lead & firing ranges:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/OH/shooting.html

A lead inhalation mask:
http://www.library-dust.com/3m_8233.htm

Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I appreciate your skepticism of other causes. I was just being thorough. I wasn’t suggesting you make a practice of going to the other range and/or shoot outside, just enough to determine if it was your range absolutely, or not. It sounds like it probably is poor ventilation. You might consider a lead test.

About lead & firing ranges:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/OH/shooting.html

A lead inhalation mask:
http://www.library-dust.com/3m_8233.htm
Thank you so much, buying a bag for me and my dad. Trust me I wish I could "troubleshoot" a little more but my options are severely restricted where I am. I'm pretty sure that whatever is causing my symptoms is airborne, it could be lead, powder, whatever cleaners they use; regardless I think a mask will do the trick. I will post back and update this thread when I try it out