Having a good laugh at the range.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Having a good laugh at the range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Default Having a good laugh at the range.

I went to the range yesterday to do some ammo testing.I always try to get there when they open,so I can shoot alone without any distractions.
Well,I get the testing done on the loads for my 308,and 25/06 before anyone else shows up.
I wasn't shooting my best,but found some rounds that I can develop into some decent rounds.I also had my RRA AR15,and had 6-7 different loads worked up for it when several other shooters showed up.

One guy that I've seen there before came down by me on the lefty tables with his FN SCAR 16 Standard. That is a very nice weapon. He was also testing some ammo he had loaded.
Another man and his teenage son set up down the line and they were shooting a Ruger Mini 30. His son was shooting some decent groups with it at 100yrds,open sights. I was impressed.

Then this guy comes out with his AK 47,with every gizmo known to man available mounted on it. He goes through about a box of ammo,and never once hits paper. He asked the range officer a couple questions,and the range officer see's that I'm taking a break,so asked me if I can help him. He said he just had the range gunsmith boresite the scope(cheap Leapers),and he can't figure out why he can't hit the target.
I instructed him to go to the 50yrd range,and try to get on paper there,then dial in the scope. Well he goes to the 50yrd range,and gets it on paper,but the scope won't hold zero,and he gets all pissed about it.
I just told him to buy a quality scope,and he wouldn't have this problem.He says that that is a quality scope and i don't know s**t.
Have a nice day,buddy!,and good luck with your Leapers scope.

I get done shooting and I'm packing up to leave,when these two city slickers with a Browning A-Bolt 243 come down where I was.They setup and fired a few shots,when I asked if we could go Cold so I could get my targets. They were talking about what a nice group they had shot (6-8 inches).

I laughed until I was crying,they walked down range with me and then saw my targets. One of them asked how I shot such good groups.I said that they were actually pretty bad groups for me and that I wasn't shooting very good today.

Now I'm not a match shooter by any means,but to see and hear things at the range that novice shooters say/do makes me laugh.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing that. The AK-47 guy deserves what he gets I guess. You just cant help some people.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Spray and pray boys, spray and pray. You just can't fix stupid.

I enjoy helping new shooters, I really do. But they have to be willing to listen and pay attention. If a noob wants to debate, I just find somewhere else to be.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're a man of great knowledge, THB.....not to mention patience!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
You're a man of great knowledge, THB.....not to mention patience!
Lon,Who lied to you? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself,and I've never been know for patience.

I was just waiting for chef to cook us lunch. LOL

Old 06-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Pardon my ignorance but does a run of the mill AK benefit from a scope at any distance. Can they really ever shoot better that 3-4 MOA at 100 yds? I'm not trying to reopen any AR versus AK accuracy debates here, just curious.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Pardon my ignorance but does a run of the mill AK benefit from a scope at any distance. Can they really ever shoot better that 3-4 MOA at 100 yds? I'm not trying to reopen any AR versus AK accuracy debates here, just curious.
I don't have an AK,but do have a Saiga with a scope. Anymore,I don't shoot rifles without a scope,my eyes just don't let me.I see fine,but can't focus the sights and target at longer ranges unless it is a peep sight.

I shoot my Saiga a whole lot better with a scope than open sights,and have no problem shooting 2moa or less depending on the ammo used.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've seen some AK-Like rifles that can really shoot. I say AK like because while they look like an AK type rifle they are nothing like them in real function. THese are all US parts and hand fit. It seems to defeat the reason for having an AK type rifle to me but to each their own I guess.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Now I feel bad, I have a Leapers Scope. I am going to have to go and spend more money than what I paid for the rifle.
I haven't had any issues with my cheap scope. It has held zero and is working just fine.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would try to help folks at the range, but I would not demean what they have.