Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   It Happened Again! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/happened-again-78473/)

cottontop 12-14-2012 10:47 PM

It Happened Again!

I can't believe it. I posted a post a while back about being at the local public range and that a guy next to me was shooting at (and hitting) my target. Well, it happened again today. I noticed the guy next to me shooting and I also noticed that there was no target board down range from him. When I shoot, I put six 8"x11" homemade paper targets on the board. With, nine 3/4" dots on each page, that usually lasts me around three hours of shooting, as I only shoot one round at a time and try to shoot tight groups as I work up reloads for accuracy. I'm sure this guy knows nothing about what I was all about as he was only concerned with letting as many rounds go as possible in the shortest amount of time as possible. I wondered what he was shooting at so I scoped my whole board and there it was, the bottom right target was covered with holes as if one used a load of 000 buckshot on it. I started yelling at him and reamed him a new one up one side and down the other until he felt like at total a$$. He was even with an experienced shooter who told him nothing about the range rules or proper procedure. It is shocking to know that someone this stupid is allowed to have a gun. btw, it was an AK47, which does not surprise me. What a way to ruin my day.
cottontop

pnolans 12-14-2012 10:58 PM

Wyatt Earp was quoted as saying something about fast and slow shooting. I cant remember the exact wording, but it was good.

Something to the effect of shooting slow and accurate is better than fast. I know whenever I try to let loose with 5 or 6 shots, I'm NOT accurate. But when I take my time and aim between shots, I'm right smack in the kill zone.

DISCLAIMER: On paper, only on paper!

Why is this relevant? I've had a similar thing happen to me at my gun club. There were 2 guys next to me, had just taken a Basic Shooting Class, and seemed to think they were hot sh$t. They were trying their fast-shooting. I was being very specific with my shooting... I started noticing holes on the bottom of the cardboard ... I was not hitting there.

I went to the folks that run the place and had a word with them. Let them know what was happening.
I let THEM deal with it! :)

JTJ 12-14-2012 11:02 PM

He is probably not stupid, just an inconsiderate jerk that is too lazy to put up his own target. He depends on people not saying anything to avoid confrontation. A lot of very rude people out there. Look around and see how many people will roll a stop sign to cut you off. Lately there has been a really bad Me First attitude. I blame a lot of it on the economic times. I see a lot of depressed people and a lot of drinking.

jjfuller1 12-14-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1051830)
He is probably not stupid, just an inconsiderate jerk that is too lazy to put up his own target. He depends on people not saying anything to avoid confrontation. A lot of very rude people out there. Look around and see how many people will roll a stop sign to cut you off. Lately there has been a really bad Me First attitude. I blame a lot of it on the economic times. I see a lot of depressed people and a lot of drinking.

have you been spying on me?? lol:cool::cool:

KG7IL 12-14-2012 11:27 PM

I feel for you, especially if you lost some important shot data during his barrage.

I am not sure if mentoring will work, but that would be my first method.
Contacting the Range Officer(s) would be my second method.

It is clear that guidance is needed for this caliber of shooter. I would hope that he did not leave the range without some helpful advice or admonishment.

robocop10mm 12-14-2012 11:29 PM

Fast is fine, but accuracy is final

jjfuller1 12-15-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final

Achieving both is preferred. You of all should know of the term combat accurate. Not saying he wasn't being inconsiderate but weather it's fast or slow fire is not the concern. People should just be considerate.

cottontop 12-15-2012 12:29 AM

range

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1051937)
Achieving both is preferred. You of all should know of the term combat accurate. Not saying he wasn't being inconsiderate but weather it's fast or slow fire is not the concern. People should just be considerate.

The reason I refer to the fast fire of this idiot is that I believe that if I did not stop him to ream his arse out, he would have just gone on the the next target on my board once the one he was shooting was filled up.
cottontop

jjfuller1 12-15-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1051946)
The reason I refer to the fast fire of this idiot is that I believe that if I did not stop him to ream his arse out, he would have just gone on the the next target on my board once the one he was shooting was filled up.
cottontop

to that i failed to comment... he deserved a big reaming out for shooting a target that he did not place... again, had he been considerate.....:eek:

JTJ 12-15-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1051835)
have you been spying on me?? lol:cool::cool:

No but I have been getting some reports.:confused:
:D