GSG 1911 Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > GSG 1911 Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default GSG 1911 Range Report

So immediately I'd like to say that this little .22LR out performed my buddy's Buckmark all day. It's likely just a fluke in the system, but it happened. Anyways, so the GSG 1911... I don't know how many of you have seen or heard about this little .22LR, but little isn't exactly the word to describe it. It is a full-frame Gov't 1911 5" barrel etc. I had heard a few bad things about the guide rod when I purchased the pistol, so the first thing I did was order a new guide rod and spring from CW Accessories, as well as a new slide alignment cone from ZR Tactical Solutions and 2 extra mags from Joe Bob's. Disassembly of the gun and interchangeability of the parts was so easy a novice could do it.

I went to the range with 200 rounds of Federal Auto Match, 200 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags, 50 rounds of Winchester Super-X, 50 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts, and 100 rounds of Federal Champion. the Federal Champion went through the GSG with no problems whatsoever, grouping was decent at 25 yds, but nothing to be excited about. ZERO FTF, ZERO FTE. The Federal Auto Match went through even better. All 200 rounds were fired in 10 round increments and grouped about 2.5" (all shots were at 25yds). Again, ZERO FTF, ZERO FTE. The Winchester Super-X, I was not a fan of. Of the 50 rounds I fired, I had 3 FTF's and 2 FTE's, and the grouping was really shady.. The Remington Thunderbolt's were of a similar story. ZERO FTF's, 3-4 FTE's and the grouping was horrid. Now, the CCI Mini-Mag, as most of us would have guessed, was the best round through this guy. 200 rounds went through it (in 10 round increments) with ZERO FTF and ZERO FTE, and the grouping was great, at about 2" with the exception of a few that got away from me and landed closer to some old SKOAL cans ;-).

The action on the slide was outstanding, the trigger was nice and crisp with very little creep, the slide successfully locked back on the last round every time.. initially my shots we hitting low, but I came to realize the the front sight aperature that was standard on the pistol was the tallest one provided, so I switched it to the medium FSA and everything was good to go. All in all, I have no complaints whatsoever about this gun and would recommend it to anyone. I paid right around $400 for mine, and that's including the new guide rod, spring, alignment cone, and 2 mags. 600 rounds down range with as few as 10 FTF/FTE's = Not bad for a .22. This is likely going to be my new favorite range toy.

I'd love to hear what anyone else's experiences have been with this weapon. None of the guys at the range had ever even heard of this pistol and they all fell in love with it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nice writeup krisko, where's the pics to go with it ?

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Krisko good report. I have been shooting 1911 pistols for over 50 years. But I have never heard of an aligment cone? What is a slide cone?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Krisko good report. I have been shooting 1911 pistols for over 50 years. But I have never heard of an aligment cone? What is a slide cone?
Instead of a thread adapter it is a small cone that screws over the threads and leaves less of a gap between the end of the barrel and the slide, thus eliminating a small amount on slop. This was the first i'd heard of them as well, but with how well the slide action was, i'll definitely be keeping an eye out.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

A friend asked me to go run his new GSG through it's paces so I took it to range last weekend.

After a thorough cleaning before firing, I was thoroughly disappointed.

Most of the exercise was shoot, slap, rack, shoot...all day long.

Thinking it may be a break in issue, I kept going through 300 rounds of CCI.

Every single magazine had the gun failing to extract on EVERY SINGLE ROUND...until the end, it did start to loosen up and fire the last few rounds in the mag without needing immediate action.

I'm not much of a .22 LR guy but it seemed to me that the ammo simply did not generate enough back pressure to fully retract the slide, extract, and chamber. Everytime I fired the gun would shoot but the slide never moved far enough to re cock the hammer, let alone extract the empty or strip a fresh round from the mag.

Yes, it was cleaned and lubed before firing...

Any suggestions short of rebuilding a 200 gun? Is there heavier/hotter .22 LR ammo available? Perhaps a lighter recoil spring?

The gun was a gift for a friend who's not a shooter so anything more than a recoil spring or different ammo won't happen...

Tack

Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #6

Like I said in my original post, the guide rod/spring kit from CW Accessories was cheap and seems to work phenomenally for mine.