GSG 1911-22 range report and problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > GSG 1911-22 range report and problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default GSG 1911-22 range report and problems

there was a father teaching the kids to shoot an ar15 one lain over and he had them picking up the empty cases. i let them try the 458 socom out and they enjoyed and gave me all the brass the kids picked up!! good haul on range brass!! most of it is 223 and 30-06.

ok today was the first day of shooting the GSG 1911-22. it wasnt without issue but those were quickly resolved. first the bad. i removed the firing pin safety and dry cycling and dry firing showed no issues. when i started shooting it kept locking up. took me a while to figure out the firing pin safety lever next to the hammer kept hanging in the empty hole in the slide. got hat fixed removing the lever the gun functioned great. i thought i needed to leave it to space the hammer. the sear needs its safety arm left in place for the proper function of the sear and disconector. removing the safety greatly improves the trigger pull.

the other issue... cracked from within 200 rounds. the frame as you can see below is indeed metal injection molded. i would NOT use the gsg 45acp conversion for this gun. the broken piece of the frame does not seem to affect function or accuracy. so i am not going to send it back at this point.

(continued)

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i fired around 350 rounds before the range closed mostly bulk winchester which is often under powered and caused the only problems with fail to eject due to light powder charges. federal bulk red box, cci blazer, and cci minimag flawless function. accuracy as seen below was very good.

i did have issue with the extended ambi safety it kept biting my hand preventing proper grip. i truly hate beaver tails they dont allow a proper grip and i had a lot of difficulty with that as well. i would definately recommend replacing the ambi safety as it is not very well made. after 350 shots it was already extremely loose and feels like it can break at any time.

the good thing is this gun is made to colt government specs and maintains a high degree of tolerance so colt parts are pretty much plug and play. my colt series 70 parts drop right in.

all shots were taken at 10 yards

ati sends three sight heights for the front sight. they are marked with dots to designate the hights. 1dot lowest and 3 the highest. they are held in place by set screw and are easily stripped. be very careful adjusting the sights. fortunately they are novak cut so replacing them if you do break them is no big deal.

i would have gladly paid a little more for higher quality parts but overall i am very pleased since the bad pieces are easily replaced with quality aftermarket.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It seems like you have a h*ll of a time with it.
After everything that went wrong would you still recommend it?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #4

That is disturbing.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good report Jon. However, it certainly doesn't make me want to run right out and buy one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
It seems like you have a h*ll of a time with it.
After everything that went wrong would you still recommend it?
not sure if i can honestly say yes.

it IS a very good shooter. it IS very reliable for a 22lr once you get all the lawyer crap out of it. it is also surprisingly clean shooter. the frame quality is disturbing. but i want to run a couple thousand more rounds thru before i say yea or nay. mine might just be isolated incident. i havent read or heard of anyone else having a piece of frame chip off. or any frame issues at all. i tend to be real unlucky with firearms. if a gun is going to have an issue it will be the one i get. i will send it back before the 2 year warranty is up.

if i get 20-25k rounds thru it before a catastrophic failure i would get another one. at this point i am happy with it as it is the only 22lr 1911 out there that duplicates the controls, functions and size of a real one.

i ran it with using only a light coat of clp due to the outside temp being in the low 30's. normally indoor ranges or warm weather i use mobil 1.

Last edited by JonM; 03-14-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Looks like a fun time. That is awesome you got all the free brass.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

good report. but now it has me thinking...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
good report. but now it has me thinking...
Yeah its a gun I realllllly want to be able to 100% recomend but I can't honestly do so because of the suspect quality of the frame material. Prolly why it only has a 2 year warranty.

Since its mine now I am going to shoot the snot out of it. I did send a email to ati, ill let you guys know what the reply is.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The most recent FirearmsTalk experiences on the GSG 1911 have made me turn my eyes back to the Ruger 22/45 Mark III.

Even though it is not a true 1911, it has the safety, mag release, and slide stop in the same configuration, and the grip angle is the same. And $50 less to boot.

Best of luck on the next 20K rounds, Jon!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face