great day at the range even though I lost a gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > great day at the range even though I lost a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default great day at the range even though I lost a gun

No pics, too busy shooting. Sorry guys....

Anyway, it was a pistol day for us (me and HOUSEHOLD 6). Had a Ruger SR9 I had just bought her, my Kimber and my XDm.

First off, DONT buy an SR9. The trigger is horrible and the quality of the gun is second rate. I was able to get decent groups out of it, but it took a lot of effort to do so. My wife shot it very well, but again with great effort. The grooves on the slide are sharp and unfinished, very rough to handle. I reversed the back strap when I got it for her, a good feature on the gun. Nice narrow grip. The gun functioned each time without fail (hardball only though). After the second string of 5 I noticed that the trigger roll pin had walked out halfway. Pushed it back in and it functioned fine. Pretty substandard. I felt bad because I had just gotten it for her.

Then the real trouble started.... I let her shoot my XDm. Girl voice..."ooh I really like this one..." After the initial 3 strings in the middle two rings of the target I knew I didnt have an XDm anymore. So goes it I guess. So the XD is now hers and Im stuck with a POS in my safe. Oh well.

Secondly, if you want a striker gun, BUY an XDm. The trigger is unreal (in a good way). The gun feels like a wider 1911. It is ambi and shoots like a dream. Trigger reset is the shortest I have experienced in a striker gun.
Only complaint from me is the mags are hard to release when loaded over 10 or so. This has gotten better with break in, still not where it should be though. Dont believe the capacity on the mag; marked at 19 but I wouldnt go above 16 or so post break-in.
Follow up shots are fast, sights are bright and well crafted. Adjustable back straps are a great idea, swapped mine the day I got it.
I will get another one for sure.
The Kimber? Well enough said. Ten years running, she is my old friend and constant companion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sound like a good day at the range for sure. My suggestion is to sell the Ruger immediately and use the money towards another XDm.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with getting rid of the Ruger. If she likes the XDm, nuff said. Sounds like you each need one.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree sell the SR9 for the new XDm in 45 acp.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I will agree with you on the SR9, I had one with the Pre Recall Trigger, it was a wonderful pistol never had a problem with it. Sent it in for the recall fix, reluctantly, and when I received it back could not stand the trigger. Didn't have the other issues.
Trade it in towards a new M&P...I mean XD.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Hi

Lost my favourite 12g auto to my son the same way

Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I liked my SR9 it fit my hand nice and all and shot alright, the trigger could have used some work and a nice de-burr job could have helped, but i traded it to a friend for another Stoeger cougar. Now i gots a pair he he he. Bright side about your woman taking your gun, an excuse to buy another.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Only complaint from me is the mags are hard to release when loaded over 10 or so. This has gotten better with break in, still not where it should be though. Dont believe the capacity on the mag; marked at 19 but I wouldnt go above 16 or so post break-in.
constant companion.
This gets much better over time, my XDm9 was pretty hard to release the magazine as well at first. It got much better very quickly and I've had no problems since the first couple of months. I can easily get all 19 rounds into a mag without the provided loader. And I haven't had any failures at all with it. I love both of mine.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...