Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Glock 23 and Crossbreed Review.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock 23 and Crossbreed Review.

I went into a local gun shop to buy a light… and came out with a Glock 23. I’ve been wanting one for a while anyway, and the salesman gave me a good price on a so-new-in-box gen III that it hadn’t even been opened. I took it hook line and sinker.
I had also ordered a Crossbreed Super Tuck for my Glock 22 for winter carry, that just so happens to work even better with the 23, even in a t-shirt. Here’s a quick review of both.

The gun is a really handy size. I’ve had my 22 for 6 years now, and really like it. I’ve run some classes and comps with it and probably have 15,000 rounds through it. The transition to the 23 was very easy. It’s not uncomfortably small like my Father’s 27. I pulled out the trigger bar and polished it, as well as the sear and firing pin stop to smooth the trigger up(even though it felt quite nice). After that, I took it out back and ran some drills with Wolf and Winchester FMJ, and some Winchester and Speer JHPs as I would carry- Meaning a full 23 mag in the gun + one in the pipe and a full 22 mag in my pocket. I drew from concealment and fired 1,2,3 and 4 shot strings from 3-25 yards starting from all sorts of positions. I found a few problems here: Close in I could flash the front sight really quickly, but sighted fire from greater distance was difficult for me due to the stock sights. I’ve grown to love the Trijicon’s on my 22, and a set will be going on this gun shortly. I also found that when drawing fast and running the gun hard, the web of my gun hand kept bunching up behind the slide. I’ve got a nice missing chunk of meat to prove it. I ran some dry fire drills nice and slow and figured out how to draw and shoot cleanly. I found that when loaded, one of my 23 mags swells just enough that it doesn’t drop free cleanly. The other works great, so I switched them up. The mag release wasn’t easy for me to manipulate either, so I switched it out with the extended one I run on my 22, as well as the slide release lever. I don’t use the lever to release the slide, but to lock it back during malfunctions clearing, and the extended piece makes life much easier for me. I also threw some ladder tape on the top of the slide to assist in one handed re-loads and malfunctions clearing, God forbid I should ever have to do it in real life. I’ve got a 3.5lb. Bar and a NY trigger in the gun now, and it’s about perfect.

The holster works great. It conceals very well, even in a “athletic fit” shirt like I’m wearing in the pictures. I’ve included one where I’m doing a toe touch so you can see how it prints. If you carry in one of these rigs, try not to bend over too much. The retention is great, and comfort is excellent. Mine has the “Combat Cut” option which supposedly sacrifices some comfort but allows for a quicker draw. I’ve never used a regular one, so I can’t comment on the comparison. I’m pretty happy with this set up, and have no qualms about carrying it daily, as I have been since I bought it. The pistol is more accurate that I am, it’s light, recoil isn’t bad and it takes my 22 mags. With the extended controls it’s left hand friendly and I can perform mag changes and clear malfunctions easily. I would recommend both the gun and holster to anyone that want’s to carry a .40S&W double stack pistol. You won’t be disappointed.

dsc_0838.jpg   dsc_0782.jpg  

Last edited by afi1; 11-27-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #2

Here are some pictures:

dsc_0841.jpg   dsc_0844.jpg   dsc_0845.jpg   dsc_0751.jpg   dsc_0846.jpg  

Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

And a few more:

dsc_0888.jpg   dsc_0892.jpg   dsc_0923.jpg   dsc_0924.jpg  

Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

Default Good Report

very good report. Missing meat haha; aint never good.
if you would; in time; do a follow up. Share the ''got used to it phase"

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

I've been carrying it for about a month now.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

That is very cool. I was accually thinking about getting the crossbreed for my glock 23C. But you would suggest getting a 22 though?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #7

If you're rocking the 23 already, I wouldn't see any reason to go with the 22. My 22 gets very little use now.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #8

Likes Given: 5

Default Good Report on the G23

Just picked up one about 2 months ago. Have had a G19 for a long time. They both fit the same holsters... I liked that. It shoots as well as my 19 and is just as accurate.
Thanks for the posts!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
I went into a local gun shop to buy a light… and came out with a Glock 23.

Funny how that happens. Good detailed report.

PS Time to bring out the Hatch gloves?

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Funny how that happens. Good detailed report.

PS Time to bring out the Hatch gloves?
Man, I went through 5 or 6 pair of Hatch gloves overseas. I ended up picking up ICON motorcycle gloves on R&R. I don't like gloves when shooting handguns, though. They usually have a seam that rides on the inside of my thumb that somehow is right on top of a nerve ending... So I just suck it up. My Gripforce thingy should be in any day now though.