Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   FTF's - Duds - Ect , what to do with them ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/ftfs-duds-ect-what-do-them-53631/)

MobileMarine 12-15-2011 02:46 PM

FTF's - Duds - Ect , what to do with them ?
 
This topic may have been touched on before , if so I missed it .
We all have them from time to time but in your honest opinions what is the best and safest way to dispose of malfunctioned rounds ?
I would think a .22 rimfire would be the worst , and I dont especially like pulling bullets or dont have the tools to dis-assemble a live round .
Im also sure just throwing them on the ground for the lawn mower to have fun with is not the safest route either , nothing bothers me more than a large or a hot round not firing like it should .
A buddy of mine swears they wont go off or they will just pop and make a small fire if they are not chambered but I have to strongly disagree with him on that one .
Most of my ftf's are .22 rf and after dropping the hammer a few more times I eject them into a pot of water and there they sit .
The probabilty of it going off 30sec after ejection is low but nonetheless it still contains live powder in a enclosed cartridge .

kenhesr 12-15-2011 06:59 PM

For many years I have been throwing them in my burning barrel. When I burn the trash they cook off, you get a little "pop" and a puff of ashes - no big deal.

On a hangfire I just count to 30 before ejecting it. Never had one go off outside the weapon.

My main concern is the empty brass or fired shotgun hulls. We do a lot of shooting at my place and it is understood that you will police your empties.

As you noted the mower & empties don't mix. I mow around my buildings with a garden tractor. I've ran over an empty shotgun hull and the blade cut the brass, (plated steel) at an angle, next pass it went thru the thin part of the tire, instant flat. :mad:

Years ago I had a couple boxes of surplus FN .45ACP that were snap-bang and tarnished. I took them down to the creek and pitched them in.

It sort of depends how much effort you want to put in, burying them would probably be best but I'm very, very lazy.

trip286 12-15-2011 07:10 PM

I've thrown some into heavily wooded areas, where I know the chances of a horse stepping on it or it getting run over with a lawnmower is almost nonexistent.

Rimfire are the ones I'm most careful with. I have a friend who was shot in the leg when he ran over a .22 with a push mower. It did minimal damage, caught the outer edge of his calf and lodged just under the skin after traveling only about 2 inches from the entry wound. But imagine if that had been a testicle.

MobileMarine 12-15-2011 07:22 PM

I was pulling a trash can across the shop floor where evidently a .22 happen to lay . POP , Wtf was that ? looked down and saw the casing . Another reason not to leave them on the ground is that 19month olds will find EVERY SINGLE ONE and try to eat them . As for the mower I have a 74in deer front mow / bush hog / car crusher / bull dozer and stump grinder .
So I ques that when thrown in a fire the heat must expand the casing a bit and when the charge does light its not that power full ?
I did manage to chunk about 2k 209 primers in the fire one time , that was fun

Muliemaster 12-15-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine
I was pulling a trash can across the shop floor where evidently a .22 happen to lay . POP , Wtf was that ? looked down and saw the casing . Another reason not to leave them on the ground is that 19month olds will find EVERY SINGLE ONE and try to eat them . As for the mower I have a 74in deer front mow / bush hog / car crusher / bull dozer and stump grinder .
So I ques that when thrown in a fire the heat must expand the casing a bit and when the charge does light its not that power full ?
I did manage to chunk about 2k 209 primers in the fire one time , that was fun

There was a test done on myth busters as well as many messin around the bullet will not fire with hardly any energy due to the lack of a chamber an barrel to compress the gasses, the case will fly but the bullet is pretty much not goin any where

jjfuller1 12-15-2011 08:14 PM

when i get them after a couple tries i set them aside. take em home take em aprt with plyers and light the powder with a match to watch it go poof.. that way its not a completely wasted round because i still get enjoyment from it

MobileMarine 12-15-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

when i get them after a couple tries i set them aside. take em home take em aprt with plyers and light the powder with a match to watch it go poof.. that way its not a completely wasted round because i still get enjoyment from it
Its funner if you put the powder in a matchbox car or ant hill , I was destructive when i was a kid ,wait , i still am

orangello 12-15-2011 09:56 PM

I don't guess i get many duds, but they get pitched in a ditch or other area unlikely to get traffic out at the shooting area (low traffic area itself).


Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 652788)
It did minimal damage, caught the outer edge of his calf and lodged just under the skin after traveling only about 2 inches from the entry wound. But imagine if that had been a testicle.

I can't imagine a testicle of any species making a decent projectile; the penetration would be pitiful.

trip286 12-15-2011 10:18 PM

You know what I meant! Lol, your right though, one thrown at high velocity would probably just squish and bounce.

robocop10mm 12-15-2011 10:44 PM

The components can be salvaged and most reused. Pull the bullet and reload it. Polish the case and reload it. The primer is toast. The powder can be sprinkled on the lawn, it is high in nitrogen.

For rimfires, buggered up centerfire brass or berdan primed cases, toss the case in a bucket, when you have a full 5 gallon bucket, take it to the recycler and get $2+ a pound


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.