Front Sight Training Center
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Front Sight Training Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Default Front Sight Training Center

I just returned home yesterday from a 4 day, 40 hour session at Front Sight Training Center. They are located about an hour outside of Las Vegas, NV.

I haven't seen a review of a training course posted here before, but I don't claim to see every review or thread, I'm not here that much.
Here is my disclaimer: I have no interest in Front Sight, I am not a member of Front Sight. I went there on an introductory offer for a "Four Day Defensive Handgun Course".

I have been a shooter the majority of my life, I'm 58. I have held a CCW permit in 5 states and carried for 28 years. I shoot weekly and read about defensive shooting regularly. That said, I learned more in 4 days than I thought possible. I'm a better shot today than I was a week ago. The changes made to grip and trigger control were minor but effective.

The staff if extremely professional and pleasant. Their one goal is to teach you to be "your worst nightmare's worst nightmare". They take you through so many drills, dry practice, malfunction clearing, live fire that you think you can do them in your sleep.....that's the point, muscle memory and reaction to problems.

Among all the training sessions is how to properly clear a room, how to clear a house. These are done both as dry practice and live fire. If you paid attention to the dry practice drills, by the time you get to live fire clearing of a house, it just flows.

During the 4 days you will shoot roughly 600 rounds, maybe more if you can grab a few extra minutes at the firing line.

My bottom line to this review, you will work your butt off. By the end of the 10 hour day, you will be tired. You will be more likely to come out of a conflict than you were prior to the course. And living to talk about a problem is what it is all about.

Worth while course for anyone that carries. I highly recommend the people at Front Sight.

Hmmm, just realized that I put this under staff reviews, please move to appropriate area.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Last edited by Thebiker; 10-08-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Misplaced thread.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the information Biker.

One of my aspirations is to train at Gunsite & Thunder Ranch.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The proprieter of front sight is a criminal. Worst part of that was him being law enforcement when convicted of his crimes.

That's a great reason to NEVER patronize that business.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
The proprieter of front sight is a criminal. Worst part of that was him being law enforcement when convicted of his crimes.

That's a great reason to NEVER patronize that business.
Additional information please. Simply saying this doesn't provide much in the context of WHAT and who.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Willfully Armed,
The founder of Front Sight is Dr. Ignacious Piazza. He was/is a chiropractor, and not a LEO. He is has a CCW permit in the excessively liberal state of California, where getting a permit is next to impossible. He also has a CCW permit in Nevada. Last I checked no one with a criminal record can get a permit to carry in any state, let alone legally buy firearms.

His instructors are mainly former military and law enforcement. These folks have more firearm instructor creditials than I have ever seen in one place.

During my stay I had one active LEO, one Navy Rescue Diver and half a dozen retired LEO's. Would they tolerate a felon that was a former LEO?

Your opinion is your own and you are entitled to it. I will not discuss/debate or argue with you any further.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker View Post
Last I checked no one with a criminal record can get a permit to carry in any state, let alone legally buy firearms.
Last time i checked it was felons, not just criminals. (misdemeanors are crimes too).
Even being a felon today does not prevent you from legally owning and possessing a firearm. There are tons of lawyers that will try to get you your gun rights back. It doesn't always work, but it defiantly does sometimes.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You're right. He wasn't LEO, I had my douchebags mixed up. Piazza IS a con man and a ponzi scheming toolbag.

But you respectably aren't going to address me any more.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I started this thread to report my experience at Front Sight Training Center. Plain and simple. This would be for anyone who was interested in a such a report.

If anyone doesn't like the guy that started the place, for whatever reason, fine. As I stated at the beginning, I have no vested interest at all.

Any personal opinions you may hold do not change the quality of the training provided, nor my positive report as to the effectiveness of the training I received.

I don't engage is pi**ing contests, I outgrew those years ago.

JMHO & YMMV.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker View Post
I started this thread to report my experience at Front Sight Training Center. Plain and simple. This would be for anyone who was interested in a such a report.

If anyone doesn't like the guy that started the place, for whatever reason, fine. As I stated at the beginning, I have no vested interest at all.

Any personal opinions you may hold do not change the quality of the training provided, nor my positive report as to the effectiveness of the training I received.

I don't engage is pi**ing contests, I outgrew those years ago.

JMHO & YMMV.
Thanks for the review. Found it interesting. One can never be too good with their equipment, and I personally believe anyone that wants to practice CC should spend some funds on a good course, so they don't put themselves in a bad way.
Simply strapping a sidearm on your waist and going to the range once a month or so doesn't make someone competent. Practice and training are crucial to improving and being capable in a crisis situation.
Carrying a sidearm with no training is like buying a masters tool box for automotive repairs.
If you don't use those tools, when your 'engine blows', you're still in trouble, because you don't have the fundamentals down to utilize your tools to get you through the problem.