Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Free Hand Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Default Free Hand Shooting

Except for sighting in a scope or aligning handgun sights, I shoot free handed.

At both my indoor and outdoor ranges, I am in a small minority.

Most people I observe shooting handguns are half laying on there lane table. On the long gun ranges, most are bench shooting.

My outdoor range was running a CCW course and I observed the 12 people doing their qualification shooting. The instructor had to "remind" several of these future heroes more than once to get off the tables.

You can sure tell us former military from the masses by their shooting technique or the lack thereof.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Good for you. Tell them they're doing it wrong. Shoot them if they don't listen.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

The_Kid Likes This 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post

Most people I observe shooting handguns are half laying on there lane table. On the long gun ranges, most are bench shooting.

My outdoor range was running a CCW course and I observed the 12 people doing their qualification shooting. The instructor had to "remind" several of these future heroes more than once to get off the tables.

You can sure tell us former military from the masses by their shooting technique or the lack thereof.
Shooters get in comfort zones, and let's be honest, most military shooters started, those that shot before joining, with braced shots. You get in the service, you are made to shoot freehand.
Most people who shoot, however, aren't SHTF types. They're plinkers, and have a firearm because they like it, and give them some sense of security.
I'm happy to see them shooting, be it on a bench or braced, because at least they are shooting. You'll get those that will ask questions, or watch and see what you're doing so that they will expand their shooting styles.
Everyone of us has our opinions on shooting. I really don't want to be one of those who look down on the other shooters. I would rather teach them the best methods and help them to improve.
I've been asked on a few occasions what was wrong with their firearm. With semiautomatics, it's limp wristing, not the firearm itself.
Teaching them how to use the sights is important as well, and explaining to newbies not to go out and get the biggest damn gun they can afford, but to get what they can control and hit the target with.
I prefer being inclusive on the range. Help them if they want it. If they don't want it, then, as long as they're being safe, that's their choice.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I am not up on bullseye pistol shooting anymore but it was always done single handed standing. Rifle was position shooting with standing the worst target score at least for me. We were taught to use slings. Yeah, I am old. I was practicing standing last year with a 22 rifle at 50 yards for a turkey shoot and I was really bad. I will be working on it again this year but I will try my 10-22 instead of the bolt.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge

I was always taught to shoot free handed. My dad and pap always said I wasn't going to have a bench set up to shoot a deer from so why not practice how it would be in reality.

I know have that gold cup, and it is way more accurate than I can shoot so every now and again I like to shoot from a rest with it to see what I can do.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Generally I shoot rifles from a bench or supported position like sitting or prone. Personally I like prone the best of all. Pistol is never done with a rest. Just good stance. When I'm hunting I look for the best way to make a clean kill shot so I'll try to use a branch or my knee whatever I can find. Recently, I did try shooting my ar free hand standing again (bootcamp style). Was fun but I need more practice.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
I shoot utilizing every shooting position.

I use a rifle as it is intended to be used, as a long range precision instrument. Trying to hit the 8 inch kill-zone on a deer at 400 yards offhand would most likely end-up with an unrecoverable suffering animal. Shooting from a sitting position, rested on a fence post, tree, rock, log or simply in the prone position, will provide the stability to make a successful shot with regularity.

A marksman understands the reasoning behind practicing from every shooting position possible.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I enjoy a little of everything. I do some bench, some standing and some prone. But what I enjoy the most is a run and gun type of thing. Having several targets at varied distances. I will shoot on the move with my AR until I run it dry. Then just let it hang by the sling as I draw my 1911 and continue. That is a lot of fun if you have enough room.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.