FN FNX 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > FN FNX 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default FN FNX 9mm

I have purchased a few 9mm's over the past few months. Everyone seems to be a favorite, I have been pretty lucky. I tend to skew towards more expensive quality firearms in my purchases.

I purchased the FNX used with 200 rounds through it. By all appearances it it was new. It came with 3 x 19 round magazines, spent bullet case, backstraps, and manual.

The fit and finish are very good, with a flat black color. The grip texture was pleasing to hold, and the additional backstraps were not necessary, since the the fit was excellent already. The takedown is similar to my XDm 9, with a lever that is actuated when the slide is locked back. The disassembly is also similar to the XDm, with the slide, and barrel being readily removable.

The initial loadout of the magazine was stiff, and I was unable to load the final 2 rounds. The problem persisted for several reloads and I attribute it to the new magazine. The magazine spring was very stiff.

At 7 yards I was easily able to hold a 3" group, which is typical for my skill level. Many of the rounds grouped much tighter. The sights were spot on from the factory, something uncommon in my experience. The crisp break on the trigger, and relatively low recoil for a polymer pistol made it very enjoyable to shoot. I used WWB ammo, since it was just a familiarization session. The external hammer did not extend too far and provided a holsterable configuration. A combination safety/decocker is a nice change of pace since very few of my pistols offer it anymore. I shot 100 rounds through it, without any problems. No part of the weapon seemed to hold in heat, and remained cool throughout the exercise.

I would recommend it as an alternative for anyone that likes an XDm, but does not like the grip safety. The trigger is the real standout. It is one of the best I have used without an after-market trigger job.

Try it, you'll like it!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Cool beans. I like the new FN family of pistols.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #3

I have the fnx40 and it is also a fine gun.

They do something with the barrel (not technical enough to explain) that lowers the center of gravity and keeps the recoil very manageable. It comes back into your hand and reduces the flip tendency.

Everyone is good at something...
I just happen to be a good bad example.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
I have the fnx40 and it is also a fine gun.

They do something with the barrel (not technical enough to explain) that lowers the center of gravity and keeps the recoil very manageable. It comes back into your hand and reduces the flip tendency.
They do that by keeping the axis of the bore low in the hand, like a Glock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One day I am planning on getting a FNP-45 Tactical. 15+1 rounds of 45 is just too tempting.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!