First wack with a M1 Garand - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First wack with a M1 Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
only 9.5 pounds of bear slaying awesomeness. bout the same as a railed m4. less than a m1a, it points much easier than my springfield m1a.
That is definitely more than manageable, but that'd have to be one hell of an M4 w/ optics, full mag and a mod stock to reach almost 10 lbs.

But I'd still give up one of mine to give one of those beauties a good home. . .

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6472 Times on 3438 Posts
Likes Given: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
That is definitely more than manageable, but that'd have to be one hell of an M4 w/ optics, full mag and a mod stock to reach almost 10 lbs.

But I'd still give up one of mine to give one of those beauties a good home. . .
The ruger sr556 with optics i traded off for my 03a3 was right around 10lbs. The pof piston m4 weigh a sht ton for their size.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

Default Adjustable gas nut?

I know the 168 grain bullets aren't really that much heavier than the 150 grain ball ammo made for the M1 Garand, but I was wondering if your rifle has an adjustable gas nut. I've been reading that these are a necessity if you shoot heavier bullets. I was thinking about installing one on my M1. I have only ever shot 150 grain Greek ammo from CMP.

A quick search on this topic brought up this web page: Schuster Manufacturing

I'll just leave it at that.

Have fun shooting in the competition!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetsig View Post
I know the 168 grain bullets aren't really that much heavier than the 150 grain ball ammo made for the M1 Garand, but I was wondering if your rifle has an adjustable gas nut. I've been reading that these are a necessity if you shoot heavier bullets. I was thinking about installing one on my M1. I have only ever shot 150 grain Greek ammo from CMP.

A quick search on this topic brought up this web page: Schuster Manufacturing

I'll just leave it at that.

Have fun shooting in the competition!
one of my manuals is a hornady and has specific load data using the 168grn for the old style gas system. the gas system on mine is original issue 1943.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

never shot one but i know the 30-06 and it is a thing of beauty and shooting it semi auto must tingle the dingle lol ,,

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
The ruger sr556 with optics i traded off for my 03a3 was right around 10lbs. The pof piston m4 weigh a sht ton for their size.
Yeah, I guess if you're talking pistons guns, then your gonna be around 10lbs. I didn't get an exact weight (just did the step on scale with and w/o rifle ) on the last SPR that I built for my Dad on the LaRue set, but w/ rifle length rails 18" SS barrel, Magpul PRS stock, Vortex Viper 4-16 and full mag was under 10lbs.

Anything in that neighborhood is very manageable.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #27

Default Thanks for the tip

Quote:
one of my manuals is a hornady and has specific load data using the 168grn for the old style gas system. the gas system on mine is original issue 1943.
I will have to check out that load. I have the reloading dies; just haven't gotten around to using them yet. I haven't gotten around to shooting anything but the surplus ammo. It's pretty good, but it's about time I try something else.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3082 Times on 1501 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Jon,

Nice rifle! And looks like it is a shooter!
If you should need any references regarding your rear sight situation just PM me. I know a couple of guys who are grues when it comes to the M1 Grand and M-14 Rifles. One is a Master Armorer and one works for the DCM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jon,

Nice rifle! And looks like it is a shooter!
If you should need any references regarding your rear sight situation just PM me. I know a couple of guys who are grues when it comes to the M1 Grand and M-14 Rifles. One is a Master Armorer and one works for the DCM.

Thanks. I stripped off the rear sight from my springfield m1a and it seems to be working. Got a .062 garand front sight coming from midway. Ill know saturday if the rear is working or not.