First wack with a M1 Garand - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

First wack with a M1 Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
only 9.5 pounds of bear slaying awesomeness. bout the same as a railed m4. less than a m1a, it points much easier than my springfield m1a.
That is definitely more than manageable, but that'd have to be one hell of an M4 w/ optics, full mag and a mod stock to reach almost 10 lbs.

But I'd still give up one of mine to give one of those beauties a good home. . .

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
That is definitely more than manageable, but that'd have to be one hell of an M4 w/ optics, full mag and a mod stock to reach almost 10 lbs.

But I'd still give up one of mine to give one of those beauties a good home. . .
The ruger sr556 with optics i traded off for my 03a3 was right around 10lbs. The pof piston m4 weigh a sht ton for their size.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

Default Adjustable gas nut?

I know the 168 grain bullets aren't really that much heavier than the 150 grain ball ammo made for the M1 Garand, but I was wondering if your rifle has an adjustable gas nut. I've been reading that these are a necessity if you shoot heavier bullets. I was thinking about installing one on my M1. I have only ever shot 150 grain Greek ammo from CMP.

A quick search on this topic brought up this web page: Schuster Manufacturing

I'll just leave it at that.

Have fun shooting in the competition!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetsig View Post
I know the 168 grain bullets aren't really that much heavier than the 150 grain ball ammo made for the M1 Garand, but I was wondering if your rifle has an adjustable gas nut. I've been reading that these are a necessity if you shoot heavier bullets. I was thinking about installing one on my M1. I have only ever shot 150 grain Greek ammo from CMP.

A quick search on this topic brought up this web page: Schuster Manufacturing

I'll just leave it at that.

Have fun shooting in the competition!
one of my manuals is a hornady and has specific load data using the 168grn for the old style gas system. the gas system on mine is original issue 1943.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

never shot one but i know the 30-06 and it is a thing of beauty and shooting it semi auto must tingle the dingle lol ,,

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
The ruger sr556 with optics i traded off for my 03a3 was right around 10lbs. The pof piston m4 weigh a sht ton for their size.
Yeah, I guess if you're talking pistons guns, then your gonna be around 10lbs. I didn't get an exact weight (just did the step on scale with and w/o rifle ) on the last SPR that I built for my Dad on the LaRue set, but w/ rifle length rails 18" SS barrel, Magpul PRS stock, Vortex Viper 4-16 and full mag was under 10lbs.

Anything in that neighborhood is very manageable.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #27

Default Thanks for the tip

Quote:
one of my manuals is a hornady and has specific load data using the 168grn for the old style gas system. the gas system on mine is original issue 1943.
I will have to check out that load. I have the reloading dies; just haven't gotten around to using them yet. I haven't gotten around to shooting anything but the surplus ammo. It's pretty good, but it's about time I try something else.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3694 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Jon,

Nice rifle! And looks like it is a shooter!
If you should need any references regarding your rear sight situation just PM me. I know a couple of guys who are grues when it comes to the M1 Grand and M-14 Rifles. One is a Master Armorer and one works for the DCM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jon,

Nice rifle! And looks like it is a shooter!
If you should need any references regarding your rear sight situation just PM me. I know a couple of guys who are grues when it comes to the M1 Grand and M-14 Rifles. One is a Master Armorer and one works for the DCM.

Thanks. I stripped off the rear sight from my springfield m1a and it seems to be working. Got a .062 garand front sight coming from midway. Ill know saturday if the rear is working or not.