First wack with a M1 Garand
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First wack with a M1 Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Default First wack with a M1 Garand

in short I LOVE THIS FREEKIN RIFLE!!!

i so wish i had got one ages ago!!!!

i traded my remington 700 XCR compact tactical in 308 for this garand a bit back its a springfield armory made in 1943. everything matching cept the sights which are replacements. the rear sight still gave issues as it wouldnt adjust elevation correctly

it took a while to get it clean enough and get the severe copper fouling cleaned for me to be comfy in shooting it. there is a small competition end of june at the range i frequent for iron sighted battle rifles 50 years old or older. im taking the garand!!

im liking the way its shooting gonna strip the rear sight off my M1A and get a new one for it. i was a little nervous and llater groupings tightened up a lot. all shots were 100 yds

taking it out again next weekend to get it zeroed for 50yds which is the distance of the match.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice looking rifle and great shooting. I'm sure you'll win the match! I do love to shoot Garands and that looks like it's almost new.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its not anywhere that good cosmetically the pic is a little deceptive. a lot of the original parkerizing is nearly gone in places but where its still there its got a nice smooth greenish hue.

if i remember right the bore wear is tween 3 and 4. lands and grooves look good bore is pretty shiny. it does need a rear handguard retaining clip.

i love the PING!! the magazine makes when it jumps out after the last shot heh.

here is the flyer for the event if any local wis peeps are interested. ive got a mosin nagant m1 carbine and springfield 1903 i can lend out for forum peeps that wish to give it a try but dont have an old war rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-29-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

good shooting JonM...

i love mine & it has the same rear sight problems as it has some kind of korean symbols on it...mine fell apart on me while shooting,but i did get it back together.

have you got garand bite thumb yet?

man it sux

Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Welcome to the Garand club!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice! That one is on my list.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
good shooting JonM...

i love mine & it has the same rear sight problems as it has some kind of korean symbols on it...mine fell apart on me while shooting,but i did get it back together.

have you got garand bite thumb yet?

man it sux
the rear sight i got came from numrich. its a pos. dont get their rear sight. im going to take the rear off my m1a it should work. if it does im gonna order one from springfield armory. ill post back later on how well it fits if it does. but i want to work on my ruger mk3 first for tomorrow

nope no bite yet. im real careful to hold the charging handle while loading it. i got bit once by my wife's DE50AE and i been realllllllly careful since. i stood there with that cannon hanging off my finger like an idiot with her laughing. then the pain hit....

Old 05-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations Jon. There is absolutely no other rifle like the M1.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Congratulations Jon. There is absolutely no other rifle like the M1.
just after a short 50 round shoot i would have to agree. im glad in a way its one of the last rifles ive tried out. i prolly wouldnt have another rifle!!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

you guys got a good source for the 2 round garand magazines ??

nm numrich had some nd they were amazingly in stock

Last edited by JonM; 05-29-2011 at 04:46 AM.