First trip to the range w/ the AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First trip to the range w/ the AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First trip to the range w/ the AR

First trip to the range w/ the AR was quite an experience, I was not ready for the recoil that this gun puts out. At first I hit a little high on the target, but after I got used to the recoil and the terrible stock grip, I hit more accurately (within 2.5" at 25 yards w/ iron sights). When i go back to the range I'll let you guys know about the shooting after the ag43 grip I installed yesterday, I can already feel a difference in how i carry the rifle both at the ready and when aiming... Also if anyone could give me pointers on uploading pics, I'll go ahead and upload the picture of the target from this past trip to the range

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but not for long" -Me
"Aim small miss small" -Mel Gibson "The Patriot"
"If at first u dont succeed, you didnt aim well enough." - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2749 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

Ranger,

New rifle! Now that is exciting! The 2.5" group at 25 yards if standing is a respectable group and especially since the rifle is new and a new experience. With good ammunition and when you get use to the rifle. She should shoot some 1-2" Groups at 100 Yards off a bench or table using bags. One question came to mind! Are you wearing good ear protection?????
If not, it may have been the sharp noise from the rifle report in stead of what you thought was recoil. Since the typical AR has very little. I guess if you are comparing it to a 22 Rimfire Rifle? I guess it would have considerably more recoil. Anyway, sounds like you are really going to enjoy that new rifle. And the folks here on the FTF will be more than glad to assist with any questions you might have. I am not competent enough to answer your posting picture question you mentioned. But Dillinger and the FTF Moderators can help you in that area. I usually have to play around with it for a period of time to get my pictures on a post! Enjoy that rifle and send us some pictures!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hope this helps.

I'm a little confuzzled over the resize of my pictures.... You can sort of read the red and blue text.

picture1.jpg   picture2.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 03-25-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Just giving you a hard time.

Last edited by Boyerracing343; 03-25-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I agree with sniper. The recoil is so minimal as to not cause one to shoot differently. I believe you are over anticipating the recoil and report therefore making you pull the shot. As Sniper said, wear good hearing protection. I say take a few deep breaths in, relax on the exhale and squeeze the trigger nice and smooth. You will see great results.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #6

You never specified what type of AR. It seems most are assuming this is an AR15, however it may be an AR10....which would explain the recoil. However, if you are shooting an AR15 and can't handle the recoil.....you're out of luck dude. I shoot my Saiga 7.62x39 with no recoil pad, and although the recoil is nothing to sneeze about....it certainly does not effect my ability to shoot the rifle.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #7

I had my first AR 15 experience today. Fun gun. I also didn't expect the amount of kick there was, but I got used to it. Good luck with it.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #8

The hell is it with all these guys that think an AR15 has "kick" to it? Try shooting an AR10, or a Mosin, or a 12ga with high brass self defense loads....then come talk about "kick". Even then, it's manageable.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
The hell is it with all these guys that think an AR15 has "kick" to it? Try shooting an AR10, or a Mosin, or a 12ga with high brass self defense loads....then come talk about "kick". Even then, it's manageable.
Before shooting an AR 15, I only had experience with a .22. There is definitely more "kick" to a 5.56 than there is to a .22. No one said is wasn't manageable, just that there was a little bit of getting used to.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Last edited by jgand72; 04-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #10

OK guys sorry its been so long since my post, but you guys are right, the little recoil just takes getting used to, i've run around 400 rounds through it using many different shooting stances and techniques and my shots have done nothing but get better, and to answer the question above it is an olympic arms ar 15 not a ten, I had a little bit of a hrd time at the range this last time, but most of my trouble was from an idiotic guy that was just trying to get me to spend a ton of money where it did not nee 5v to be spent, first he said my hammer spring was weak, then he said my trigger pin was walking, then he wanted to blame the case, n after he "installed" a stiffer hammer spring (from an ar 10) I noticed he installed the spring upside down, which in turn made the pin wlk, but the lower reciever was not my problem, just an idiot trying to make a buck, so after dealing w his ass for about an hour and a half, I got it all back together and fired a set of 20 rounds and fired a set of 20 rounds and it was just like the first 20 I shot out of it, no misfires, no duds, all worked and I didnt have to pay him anything because I just put my original spring back in the right way.

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but not for long" -Me
"Aim small miss small" -Mel Gibson "The Patriot"
"If at first u dont succeed, you didnt aim well enough." - Me