Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First time with SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First time with SKS

Alright, now that I've got my rifle all clean up and stored away, I shall tell the tail of my first time firing it.

After picking up a rang finder and seeing my normal range was closed I called a friend and took my rifle out there. By "there" I mean in the middle of nowhere and nothing to pin targets to. After using a tree with a fair sized hill behind it I let loose.

The rifle fired with each pull of the trigger just fine. The recoil was actually a lot less then I expected it to be also. Only thing I didn't really dig about the SKS is how short the stock is. It almost seemed that with every 10-15 rounds fired I'd hit myself in the lip with my thumb.

The other thing I'm not really a fan of is the trigger, man is it heavy. It almost makes slowly squeezing it seem like a challenge since the rifle wants to wonder off a little bit.

I wasn't able to get all that great of groups with it, but I did do one thing that surprised me. I found a big red tub and was given the okay to shoot the crud out of it, so figured I'd have a little fun. After leaving it on a hill side I drover off to 324ms and started shooting at it. My first shot was practically dead on, but I forgot all about the wind. Aiming off to the left a small bit, I was able to hit this tub that measured about 3ft wide.

All-in-all three hours and 400some rounds later, I frigging love this thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the report. It sounds like the rifle does what it's supposed to do and that you're happy with it.

The SKS is a battle rifle/carbine and as such, the trigger is what it is. Russian designed rifles generally have short stocks to compensate for the troops wearing heavy thick cold weather clothing. Pick up a recoil pad and you'll lengthen the stock a bit.

Huber Concepts makes milsurp trigger replacements that are amazing, but I don't know if he makes them for the SKS. It might be worth checking out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
Thanks for the report. It sounds like the rifle does what it's supposed to do and that you're happy with it.

The SKS is a battle rifle/carbine and as such, the trigger is what it is. Russian designed rifles generally have short stocks to compensate for the troops wearing heavy thick cold weather clothing. Pick up a recoil pad and you'll lengthen the stock a bit.

Huber Concepts makes milsurp trigger replacements that are amazing, but I don't know if he makes them for the SKS. It might be worth checking out.
Ooh, I always thought it was just because the Russians where short on average. I was actually wondering if there was a way to length the stock with out putting a whole new one on, so think I'll check that out.

I'm not to sure if I can get a Huber trigger or not since I'm in Canada and can't have gun parts shipped up here. I'll talk to my gun shop owner.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Timney may also make triggers for them. Enjoy that SKS!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
Timney may also make triggers for them. Enjoy that SKS!
I think I'll look into a Timney and pending, pick one up.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good luck.