Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   First time with SKS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/first-time-sks-72445/)

kaido 09-15-2012 01:37 AM

First time with SKS

Alright, now that I've got my rifle all clean up and stored away, I shall tell the tail of my first time firing it.

After picking up a rang finder and seeing my normal range was closed I called a friend and took my rifle out there. By "there" I mean in the middle of nowhere and nothing to pin targets to. After using a tree with a fair sized hill behind it I let loose.

The rifle fired with each pull of the trigger just fine. The recoil was actually a lot less then I expected it to be also. Only thing I didn't really dig about the SKS is how short the stock is. It almost seemed that with every 10-15 rounds fired I'd hit myself in the lip with my thumb.

The other thing I'm not really a fan of is the trigger, man is it heavy. It almost makes slowly squeezing it seem like a challenge since the rifle wants to wonder off a little bit.

I wasn't able to get all that great of groups with it, but I did do one thing that surprised me. I found a big red tub and was given the okay to shoot the crud out of it, so figured I'd have a little fun. After leaving it on a hill side I drover off to 324ms and started shooting at it. My first shot was practically dead on, but I forgot all about the wind. Aiming off to the left a small bit, I was able to hit this tub that measured about 3ft wide.

All-in-all three hours and 400some rounds later, I frigging love this thing.

CA357 09-15-2012 02:29 AM

Thanks for the report. It sounds like the rifle does what it's supposed to do and that you're happy with it.

The SKS is a battle rifle/carbine and as such, the trigger is what it is. Russian designed rifles generally have short stocks to compensate for the troops wearing heavy thick cold weather clothing. Pick up a recoil pad and you'll lengthen the stock a bit.

Huber Concepts makes milsurp trigger replacements that are amazing, but I don't know if he makes them for the SKS. It might be worth checking out.

kaido 09-15-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357
Thanks for the report. It sounds like the rifle does what it's supposed to do and that you're happy with it.

The SKS is a battle rifle/carbine and as such, the trigger is what it is. Russian designed rifles generally have short stocks to compensate for the troops wearing heavy thick cold weather clothing. Pick up a recoil pad and you'll lengthen the stock a bit.

Huber Concepts makes milsurp trigger replacements that are amazing, but I don't know if he makes them for the SKS. It might be worth checking out.

Ooh, I always thought it was just because the Russians where short on average. I was actually wondering if there was a way to length the stock with out putting a whole new one on, so think I'll check that out.

I'm not to sure if I can get a Huber trigger or not since I'm in Canada and can't have gun parts shipped up here. I'll talk to my gun shop owner.

CA357 09-15-2012 03:59 AM

Timney may also make triggers for them. Enjoy that SKS!

kaido 09-15-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357
Timney may also make triggers for them. Enjoy that SKS!

I think I'll look into a Timney and pending, pick one up.

CA357 09-15-2012 04:32 AM

Good luck.