Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First time shooting my 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default First time shooting my 870

Wow... I have a mosin and the recoil on it is around 9 pounds. I took one shot with the 870 and had to see if my shoulder was still on. Went through 23 rounds and loved it but holy crap does that thing KICK. I put 5 rounds of managed recoil remington 00buck and it made a HUGE difference. I was NOT expecting such a large amount of recoil. I am bloodied up because my flashlight kept hitting my thumb. I am bruised but hey, any day on the range is an awesome day. Were any of you guys surprised the first time you took a shot? Now I know that it isn't supposed to feel like roses but still, the recoil is more than my mosin nagant :O

Good day!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I was doing some pattern testing w my two new shotguns. Rem 11-87 and Rem 870 both 20 ga w Rem 9 shot. First up, 11-87 and it was relatively mild considering I was shooting from a seated position. Then the 870 and it hit me hard both in the shoulder and w face slap.

Both had 28" barrels. The 11-87 had wood stocks w hard rubber recoil pad. The 870 had syn stocks n latest recoil pad.

Note: Both guns shot exactly to POA - 50/50. I was expecting them to shoot alittle high to hit a rising bird but they didn't. I added a kick eez pad to side of stock to deal w face slap.

I was wondering if it might have something to do w the synthetic stocks ? My conclusion, gas gun is the way to go for light recoil.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 521 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

Enjoy the 870.
Over the years have owned a few myself.
Yep,
Recoil can hurt.
Pull the stock into your shoulder as tight, as firm as possible.
Keep your cheek tight on the stock.
Have shot a lot of Trap & Skeet with the 870 & 1100.
And bird hunting.
Enjoy.

Forgot to ask,
What kind of load are you shooting??
I remember some years ago we were at the range and heard some unusually loud BANGS
Looked around and saw a guy trying to teach his wife to shoot a shotgun.
With Magnum hunting loads.
Sure felt sorry for the wife.

Last edited by shadecorp; 08-04-2013 at 07:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Wow... I have a mosin and the recoil on it is around 9 pounds. I took one shot with the 870 and had to see if my shoulder was still on. Went through 23 rounds and loved it but holy crap does that thing KICK. I put 5 rounds of managed recoil remington 00buck and it made a HUGE difference. I was NOT expecting such a large amount of recoil. I am bloodied up because my flashlight kept hitting my thumb. I am bruised but hey, any day on the range is an awesome day. Were any of you guys surprised the first time you took a shot? Now I know that it isn't supposed to feel like roses but still, the recoil is more than my mosin nagant :O

Good day!
Get a Phonix chocolate stock you won't feel much

Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 395

You're just discovering that shotguns have recoil?

The only ill effect my 870 had was some cheek slap when the stock was too long for me. Shortening the stock and the angle of the stock by using a SpeedFeed IV-S seems to have mitigated that issue.

Now you know why AR-15's are better for people of lesser stature and strength for home defense.

Most people look at me a little funny when I put 100-200 magnum rounds through my 870 in a range session, but you have to actually use your shotgun to get any benefit from it. Managed recoil is another way of saying lower power. The whole point of the shotgun for me was spraying the target with a lot of high velocity lead.

My advice is to rethink some of the stuff you put on your 870 or at least rethink the layout.

I run things in specific locations because recoil, grip, movement, and other factors dictate where things will work best. Everybody's body type is different, but some universal things apply.

No matter how strong you are, placing extraneous weight in front of your support hand will fatigue your arms. The stuff mounted on the fore end of your shotgun, although really cool, is not helping you shoot the gun. That rail was for mounting AR style sights on a shotgun, which your shotgun does not have.

The pump or slide needs to be clear of obstructions. Basically, this means your light needs to be mounted on one side or another of the shotgun. Put your light on whichever side your support hand thumb rests on. A SureFire Scout has edges that aren't as sharp as some other makes and models of weapon lights. The Scout is very light and the majority of the light is positioned ahead of the grip because of the mounting style it was designed with. Use the push-button tailcap that comes with it instead of the tape switch.

Make sure you can see your optic with your face resting on the cheek piece without craning your neck. Based on how your stock appears in the photos you provided of your shotgun, it's hard for me to believe that most people could get a solid cheek weld on that stock and see that optic, given how high it's mounted. Do the shells on the other side of the stock interfere with you cheek weld? How do you transition shoulders with those shells there and get a sight picture through your optic, with or without a cheek weld? Try using a lower optics mount or use a smaller optic like an Aimpoint Micro.

Think about how your sling will interact in normal shooting positions with the accessories on your shotgun. Single points don't interfere with weapon lights like two points do for right handed shooters. If you opt for a two point, make sure it's quick-adjust. The sling in the photos you provided looks more like a carrying strap than a sling. Take a look at Blue Force Gear single and two point slings.

The stock on your shotgun, like most shotgun stocks, drops pretty significantly towards the heel of the stock. Stocks that are more in-line with the receiver seem to have less felt recoil, even though the only difference is how the recoil force is imparted to your shoulder. Also, a higher comb means less cheek slap, or at least it does for me.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
You're just discovering that shotguns have recoil?

The only ill effect my 870 had was some cheek slap when the stock was too long for me. Shortening the stock and the angle of the stock by using a SpeedFeed IV-S seems to have mitigated that issue.

Now you know why AR-15's are better for people of lesser stature and strength for home defense.

Most people look at me a little funny when I put 100-200 magnum rounds through my 870 in a range session, but you have to actually use your shotgun to get any benefit from it. Managed recoil is another way of saying lower power. The whole point of the shotgun for me was spraying the target with a lot of high velocity lead.

My advice is to rethink some of the stuff you put on your 870 or at least rethink the layout.

I run things in specific locations because recoil, grip, movement, and other factors dictate where things will work best. Everybody's body type is different, but some universal things apply.

No matter how strong you are, placing extraneous weight in front of your support hand will fatigue your arms. The stuff mounted on the fore end of your shotgun, although really cool, is not helping you shoot the gun. That rail was for mounting AR style sights on a shotgun, which your shotgun does not have.

The pump or slide needs to be clear of obstructions. Basically, this means your light needs to be mounted on one side or another of the shotgun. Put your light on whichever side your support hand thumb rests on. A SureFire Scout has edges that aren't as sharp as some other makes and models of weapon lights. The Scout is very light and the majority of the light is positioned ahead of the grip because of the mounting style it was designed with. Use the push-button tailcap that comes with it instead of the tape switch.

Make sure you can see your optic with your face resting on the cheek piece without craning your neck. Based on how your stock appears in the photos you provided of your shotgun, it's hard for me to believe that most people could get a solid cheek weld on that stock and see that optic, given how high it's mounted. Do the shells on the other side of the stock interfere with you cheek weld? How do you transition shoulders with those shells there and get a sight picture through your optic, with or without a cheek weld? Try using a lower optics mount or use a smaller optic like an Aimpoint Micro.

Think about how your sling will interact in normal shooting positions with the accessories on your shotgun. Single points don't interfere with weapon lights like two points do for right handed shooters. If you opt for a two point, make sure it's quick-adjust. The sling in the photos you provided looks more like a carrying strap than a sling. Take a look at Blue Force Gear single and two point slings.

The stock on your shotgun, like most shotgun stocks, drops pretty significantly towards the heel of the stock. Stocks that are more in-line with the receiver seem to have less felt recoil, even though the only difference is how the recoil force is imparted to your shoulder. Also, a higher comb means less cheek slap, or at least it does for me.
Thanks for all the advice. I did not post any photos of my 870 though. Ever. You may be looking at the wrong gun

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I did not post any photos of my 870 though. Ever. You may be looking at the wrong gun
I'm an idiot. I thought I was responding to another member. Stupid computer... I mean stupid computer user... Yeah, that would be me.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Was wondering about the photos as well since I didn't see any ?

Also, most skeet shooter put weight fwd in weighted mag caps or extended tubes filled w mercury, springs etc. Rhino - gunsmith in FL. - made me a long tube which is really just a fancy weight that helps me swing through the Tgt.

O/U have it easier, they often have Kolar mobile weights that they can move up or down the lower tube according to suit the shooters preference. It helps you swing through Tgt and keeps the barrel down for quicker second shots on skeet doubles.

These weights also help balance a gun when they add "dead mules" or weight to the stock.

IMHO - weight fwd can be helpful in competitive shooting.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 08-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1777 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 3558

The first time firing a 12 gauge with either, shot, buckshot or slugs was long ago. Since the regular ammo scare, 12 gauge is the one I have been using.

This Friday, took the 870 to the range, dropped 2 boxes of estate #6 shot and 1 box of #8 shot, did not finished the #8 shot.

Normally, I bring more ammo; but, had to keep it morning range time only.

Also, fired 20 rounds of Federal Rifled Slugs 70mm 2 3/4, 10 rounds of RIO ammo.

The other joy is either buckshot or slugs.

Lately, been firing buckshot in 2 3/4 00 Buck and Slugs. Lately, in my area 3" versions are hard to find.

I need to do another purchase for additional rifled slugs to replaced the ones fired, plus another amount.

The only sight is the bead sight on the front of the 870.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #10

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

My 870
forumrunner_20130804_212717.jpg

forumrunner_20130804_212731.jpg