Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First time at the Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time at the Range

I purchased a Ruger P95 about a week ago and finally took it to the range today. I did a lot of research about stances, handgrips, background on the weapon I was using and basic handgun safety. Well prepared is well armed. (ha ha) Anyhow, I went to a little shooting range called The Family Shooter's Corral in Eaton Rapids, MI. I was surprised at the ease in which the trigger could be pulled, not that I was caught off guard. In fact, one of the guys there said, "It ain't gonna bite ya!" Well, this dog does bite, and I'll handle it accordingly, thanks.

I practiced firing a few shots at a few metal plates quite a distance away (at least 20 yards away) and hit a fair number of them, though in truth, shooting anyone from that distance wouldn't be considered self-defense, at least I don't think it would. Anyhow, after about 25 shots I decided to try it on a few paper targets at 10 yards. I waited for the next cease fire, grabbed a couple targets and applied them to the pallet board used as backing. The cool thing about this range is they provide ear plugs and paper targets for free, with what I considered a decent fee for range time ($7.00 a half hour). Plus the owner is a friendly fellow with a handgun holstered on his waist.

In target 1, I fired off 9 rounds (heh... thought there were 10 in the mag) and hit the target, which for me, was surprising enough. In target 2, my groupings were a lot more focused. I held the target, bullet holes and all up to my chest, and chuckled, whispering "center mass".

Not bad for my first time out. Plus, I learned a few things. First, there were a few guys down the row from me that had really loud (my ears are still ringing) rifles. I had originally purchased these "military grade" earplugs from a PX near me, and they were crap. If this is what the military uses, then I fear for our soldiers hearing. I ended up using foam inserts that made me practically deaf. Second, I had considered purchasing a laser site that mounts to the end of the barrel, but after witnessing another handgunner and the unsteadiness of the human hand, plus the accuracy with my handgun sans site, I'll just stick to the basics.

Cool day, rain and all.

target-1.jpg   target-2.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. For the first time out, that's some pretty darn good shooting.

You will most likely now become addicted.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

I already want to go back.

..sigh.. It's a 25 minute drive out there, kind of out in the middle of nowhere (no better place for a range) but still, if it weren't raining, I'd be heading out right now.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congradulations!! I'm sure you'll find yourself making that drive on a regular basis in the future. Glad to have you here on the forum!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the forum from North Central Texas and congratulations on your shooting.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good shooting for a first time! Welcome to the firearms addiction!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #7

Default Addiction!

I agree, it is turning into an addiction. I'm already considering my next firearm. The place I bought my handgun seems pretty keen on a 12 gauge for home defense. I don't know... The range I attended seemed to have a majority of rifle users, but that was just the day I was there.

Para bellum!!

Proud NRA Member! #172327456

Lansing, MI
Ruger P95PR and counting...

Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice work, Crackshot, and welcome aboard! A set of hearing protectors along with foam plugs work great.

Last edited by gorknoids; 10-24-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great first outing, and kudos for the research prior to heading out to shoot!

I'm glad to see your philosophy on handgun distance shooting. If you are practicing PD/HD IMHO you are just wasting ammo on anything > 7 yards. Anything greater is hunting or competition shooting.

I shoot PD the most at 4 meters (~12.5 ') usually referred to as CQB distance.

I know this may come as a surprise to our members but I'm old school. I agree with you on your decision to pass on the laser sight.

You are showing some natural talent and I see an enjoyable future in handgunning!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Great first outing, and kudos for the research prior to heading out to shoot!

I'm glad to see your philosophy on handgun distance shooting. If you are practicing PD/HD IMHO you are just wasting ammo on anything > 7 yards. Anything greater is hunting or competition shooting.

I shoot PD the most at 4 meters (~12.5 ') usually referred to as CQB distance.

I know this may come as a surprise to our members but I'm old school. I agree with you on your decision to pass on the laser sight.

You are showing some natural talent and I see an enjoyable future in handgunning!
Thanks for the kudos, that's high praise.

Nothing wrong with Old School mentality. Older methods are proven methods.

The range has targets set at 10 yards. Then again, for practice shooting, if you can hit something at 10 yards, you have a pretty good chance of hitting something at less than that. However, the dynamics would seem to change, the closer the BG gets to you. Much like the personal circle/space taught in martial arts how one would react to aggression in an enclosed/confined space with a handgun would seem to face similar problems.

I'm probably talking myself in circles here, but it is something for introspection.

Para bellum!!

Proud NRA Member! #172327456

Lansing, MI
Ruger P95PR and counting...