First Time with my 700 VTR .308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First Time with my 700 VTR .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Time with my 700 VTR .308

After sighting it in with 8 rounds at 100yds, I posted these last four.

The first three rounds are the top ones with the left stray being the first one. For those, I used 150gr Hornady Interlocks with 2820fps muzzle velocity.

For the fourth round, the bottom one, I switched to the 150gr Hornady Superformance with 3000fps muzzle velocity just to see what the difference would be.

I was really frustrated sighting this gun in because I wasn't at a real range. I was on a long straight stretch of gravel road in the woods. My target was stapled to a log that fell over after every shot...so between every shot, I had to walk out 100yds to stand the log back up, then 100yds back.

After sighting, I took it to the open field and killed about a dozen and a half armadillos. At 100yds, it was one shot one kill every time no problem. I killed two at 200yds and I was 1 for 2 at 300. I really like the BDC reticule on the Nikon Monarch that I mounted on this gun.

All said and done, I put 32 rounds down the pipe. I did a little break-in by running a brush and patch after every shot for the first 5. Then I let 'er rip after that. The groups are supposed to tighten up on this gun after about 50 rounds.

I really can't wait to get to a bench and really make this thing sing.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Mud4Brains; 03-15-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It looks like you're off to a good start. Are you going to reload for it? It'll REALLY wake up with a custom tailored load worked up for it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It looks like you're off to a good start. Are you going to reload for it? It'll REALLY wake up with a custom tailored load worked up for it.
Yes, I do intend to start re-loading. I'm looking at some of the RCBS kits. I really like the fool-proof automatic powder measure that dispenses onto the digital scale. Seems simple and safer at the same time.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Nice shooting.
Any pictures of the gun?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Nice shooting.
Any pictures of the gun?
Here tis. I call it "Doom".

Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #7

Nice. How much flex does that stock have?

Bear is right on with finding a handload specific to your rifle. I have a package deal from RCBS (Rock Chucker Supreme) that had everything aside from a powder trickler and a case trimmer. Starting out and for accurate loads (which is the only reason I decided to handload aside from for fun), I dial the powder measure in few grains light and weigh every charge, bringing it up to desired weight with the trickler. It seems to be working (Remington LTR .308).

Also, what do you do with a bunch of dead armadillos? If they're just "pests" and you don't need to save ANYTHING, you might try 110 grain Hornady VMAX's. No armadillos this far north, but they will absolutely jellify a fox. I am using 47.5 grains of Varget with the VMAX, which is well under maximum. I was getting about 2 inch groups with factory ammo and was pretty disappointed, but after putting the reloads together I couldn't be happier. I don't recall the seating depth but do remember that I loaded them close to max OAL. I am sure with some effort and load developement your groups will do nothing but get tighter.

Good luck!

img_0033-1-.jpg  

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-16-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Nice. How much flex does that stock have?
Truthfully (as evident by the first pic of this thread), I'm not a good enough shooter to know the difference. Lol.

It seems pretty sturdy to me...however I've heard men much more knowledgeable than myself claim that it's junk because it's not truly floatable. Some people have taken the stock off and ground down the nodules that contact the barrel at the fore end as sort of a "hillbilly float", but said they didn't see any noticeable difference. A rep from Remington chimed in on one of the VTR threads and said that the nodules are the result of them testing the barrel and identifying the need for harmonic dampening.

My gun however, is the Cabela's version that has a 24" barrel instead of 22" and has no muzzle break giving me an effective 3.5" more barrel which means it will have different harmonics that I'm sure Remington didn't account for when they put out the Special Edition for Cabela's.

I've also heard from others that it's a tack-driver the way it is.

For me, it's a multi-purpose hunter and a SHTF/EOTW Zombie gun and it suits those needs perfectly. Maybe in the future, as I get more educated on how to shoot better, then maybe I'll start looking into custom free-floated stocks.

Till then, hitting Dillos at 300 yards is plenty accurate enough for me.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

These 700s are really nice and shoot like a champ right out of the box. I have two new XCRs one in .223 w/24"and the other .300 WM w/26". When you start loading for it, you will really realize its potential.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #10

To load for a rifle, a single stage press or even a lee classic loader will make ammo as good or better than anything else. It is not the fastest method.

I have a SPS Tac 308 still in break in... seems to like 150's better than 180's. I am thinking some A Max's might be the answer. Going to start reloading once I have about 200 rds of break in.