Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > first time with a .45 and two 9MMs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default first time with a .45 and two 9MMs.

As the title implies, I got to fire a .45acp (HK45) and two 9MMs, one of which was a Berreta PX4 Storm (carbine version) and the other was, I'm pretty sure, an SR9. Sadly it cost me over $100.00 to fire this all together, but thats including rentals, range fees and ammunition.

With the HK45, it was obviousily the civilian version, so was only semi-auto. that didn't take away from the cool factor at all though. I only bought 25 rounds for it since it cost a good bit for the ammunition it's self. the recoil wasn't bad at all, but the weight of the rifle (it's what Canadian law has it classified as) could of helped with that. I was only able to fire from a standing position and it was shot with a sort of red dot type sight, kind of wish I could of taken that off since my ear muffs wouldn't let me get a nice cheek weld. All in all, it was a pretty sweet firearm to shoot and I would actually put the money into one if I had it.

The P4X was pretty cool too, the one i fired was chambered for 9MM and not .45ACP since I actually fired this one and the SR9 first. it's had next to no recoil at all, like so little it almost felt about the same as firing my girls Marlin XT-22R. but thats just my thoughts about it. This is another one that i only fired 25 rounds from as well. the range also had an optic on this one as well which kinda of sucks since I prefer to fire any kind of gun using it's iron sight the first few times to see if I like them, but meh you take what you can get. Other then the optics issue, this was a pretty cool "toy" too.

Been working backwards on this, but the SR9 was the first fire gun that i fired while at the range. This ine really surprised me as far as the recoil.....there was none!! Alright, maybe not "none", but compared to what I was expecting for a hand gun, it was very little. In all honesty, i was actually hoping to be able to try out a GLOCK 17 since in my mind, thats a nice looking hand gun and i've always liked it.

What did I get out of this, aside from the two casings (one per caliber)?
well i'm for sure going and getting my restricted firearms license so i can legally own a hand gun and I'll eventually buy and SR9, wether it be new or used, i don't really mind. just really want one now. haha

(pictures are in order as they where talked about. P4X first group in 10 shots......got a little excited. haha the SR9 was 10shot groups the whole way. the last picture is the best group I got with the it as well, the shot up top is a sinker (my term for a flyer the goes low) from the group above.)

Last edited by kaido; 07-02-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: calification

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Rental of firearm, ammo, target, and space can be costly. Glad you had some fun. Next time bring your own firearm, ammo, and target. Space will come out to almost nothing.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Rental of firearm, ammo, target, and space can be costly. Glad you had some fun. Next time bring your own firearm, ammo, and target. Space will come out to almost nothing.
haha I was actually thinking about bringing my own rifles up to the rangfe, but it's located in a mall (West Edmonton Mall) and I'm not sure if they would of let me bring those in since i'd have to walk around with the case. We where also here to drop my sister off at the airport since she came down for the long weekend from the next province over.

One of the biggest reasons i didn't though, i was looking to try something new that i haven't shot before. But you're right, the actual fee for just the booth was only $26.00 for the day.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Liked 978 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
haha I was actually thinking about bringing my own rifles up to the rangfe, but it's located in a mall (West Edmonton Mall) and I'm not sure if they would of let me bring those in since i'd have to walk around with the case. We where also here to drop my sister off at the airport since she came down for the long weekend from the next province over.

One of the biggest reasons i didn't though, i was looking to try something new that i haven't shot before. But you're right, the actual fee for just the booth was only $26.00 for the day.
eek!!. 26 for a day?.. i pay 60 for unlimited use for a whole year at my club. you should try to find other ranges.. but good choice on the sr9. now you just gotta save up money and get the paperwork rolling
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6155 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 7028

I'm glad you had a good time firing some guns. I love the great, uplifted feeling I have when I leave the range.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
eek!!. 26 for a day?.. i pay 60 for unlimited use for a whole year at my club. you should try to find other ranges.. but good choice on the sr9. now you just gotta save up money and get the paperwork rolling
if i used the range a lot i would buy a yearly pass, but it was only a one time thing since its 2.5-3hours away from me and it doesn't seem like something i'll go to very many times a year to justify the costs. but the range i use is totally free, just the cost of fuel and the ammunition. but I've got to upgrade my license before i can buy a hand gun (Canada sucks for that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm glad you had a good time firing some guns. I love the great, uplifted feeling I have when I leave the range.
oh me too, it's almost like a feeling of untouchability for that short moment. it's almost like driving a powerful car and knowing you can easily take comand of the road if you wanted. it's so great and i think everyone should have the chance to getr that feeling. haha

Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

Liked 115 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You'll never forget your first time with a .45ACP!!!

Congratulations sir, and enjoy.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
the actual fee for just the booth was only $26.00 for the day.
Wow! We pay just 13 dollars for a booth for all day.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf
You'll never forget your first time with a .45ACP!!!

Congratulations sir, and enjoy.
No, I never shall, I want to fire a .45ACP pistol now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha

Wow! We pay just 13 dollars for a booth for all day.
Well I usually don't pay anything at my home range. But I was at one that's a "real" range and not one guys made up on public land.