First time!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 178 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default First time!

The sun was shining, the wind a very, very gentle breeze, the birds were singing, the killer winds of the previous day a mere memory, all in all a fine Arizona winter morning. Today was a special day, a special day beyond special days, not me with a new gun, not me with a new load...not really about ME at all.
Today was Ricky's first time shooting, ever. Also the first rounds through his CZ 452 Scout, other than the factory sight in rounds. We were bouncy with excitement. I remembered everything, (this time), including shooting stool and camera. Also took the wife's new CZ 512 rifle, similarly unfired, and decided to give it a run through. The Mrs. was feeling poorly, so she blessed my use of her new long gun.
Ricky followed ALL range safety rules, and was PERFECT on the range. A nice gent shooting next to us complimented him on his range etiquette.

So we got all set up, and Ricky got ready to shoot his first round...

Whoops, forgot he's left handed, had to move to the other side of the bench.

Single shot rifle, hand feed every round.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #2

BANG!

And the result? Well, Dad has a camera, let's take a pic!

He had so much fun it was unreal. He became a pro slapping that bolt up and down, and ran through quite a bit of ammo. He brought home two targets, but wanted them mounted before I could take pics - here they are on his wall!

I tried the little 452 Scout - WOW. That's a 5 round group. BTW, the taped over bullseyes were Rickys.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #3

Then he wanted to try out Mommy's new rifle, the brand new CZ 512. It's interesting to note that he tried to cycle it after the first round, as that was what he was used to, but quickly became used to the idea of a self loading rifle.

It worked quite well, but it doesn't like the bulk pack Federal ammo. Here is a pic of my shooting at 25 yards - was supposed to be a 5 round group, but the 5th round failed to fire.

Important to note, every .22lr firearm I have owned would have the occasional misfire with this cheap bulk pack ammo - the 452 Scout did NOT. Every round went off, and the firing pin indent was strong and even. Impressive.

At the end of our trip, I had to put a few through the Phantom, trying a new cast bullet load quickly, just to see if I got it right for the longer barrelled Phantom.

Yep, got it right. But Ricky wanted to try the Phantom out...

I didn't get a pic of him shooting because I was helping him hold it - that's a big gun for little hands. He fired one round, and said it stung his hands a bit. I also didn't take a pic of the target, but it was a solid hit not 2 inches from the bullseye at 10 yards. His first ever pistol round. He did say he thinks he'll stick with rifles for now.

He paid me the best compliment yet - he said it was more fun than when the class went to the Reid Park Zoo yesterday. And he wanted to know if we could come back out tomorrow...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #4

Liked 2515 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

Ricky has a good dad. Good job for both of you.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Wow, great range report, I don't even remember my first trip to the range, this will be a good memory for the both of you. What a great shooter too.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That is some excellent stuff right there. Way to go.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Great report! Great shooting, too!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Looks like he did real well. Even better to hear he wants to go again!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I love it man. Great story, great photos and a great time had between father and son. It just doesn't get better than that. Nice shooting as well.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #10

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would have been a great day in a storm. A day that will be relived many times in the future. And yes, we will go tomorrow.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.