Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First shot ever....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ps
Have a boy of my own now and began firearms safety training as soon as he got his first nerf gun, then cap guns, then bb guns,then pellet gun, now his .22, now I'm proud to say he is a very safe, savy, responsible lil shooting buddy. He is safer than most guys we see at the range. and won't even accept a gun if he didn't see me clear it, then clears it himself.... I won't let something like that happen again.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #22

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

First shot was at the local gun club's youth mentor nights. 12 gauge shotgun, shooting skeet. hit my first 12 targets.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc
I was 9 years old and was at a friends house, we were in his moms room when she was rearranging her room and lifted her mattress to move it to the hall, when I spotted her .32 laying on the boxsprings. I had never handled a handgun at the time and mistook it for a toy, partly because it was a old revolver with the wood grips missing, just the frame threw me off. I picked it up to look at it, pointing across my belly sideways to the left, I pulled the trigger. It went boom, his mom comes in screaming grabs the pistol out of my hands, that's when I seen him, my friend was across the room laying face down in a pool of blood. His mom still screaming runs over to him, lifts his head to see blood squirting out of his cheek just below his right eye. She really starts freaking, I start screaming, at this point I just imagining she's gonna shoot me, I run, ran out the door heading to my house. I could barely get the words out to tell my mom, she called for a ambulance then went to help, I being a kid could just imagine the mom coming to kill me, I hid in my bedroom closet for hours, it took our pastor , my mom dad, and my big brother to talk me out. The boy lived, bullet entered just under his right eye, spiraling through his nasal cavity resting in a bundle of nerves in his neck, Dr's couldn't remove it in fear of damaging nerves, so its still there to this day. Though just 9 at the time, it was the worst day of my life. Needless to say when I was over the shock and sadness of it all, my dad apologized for waiting to teach me about firearms ( he planned on waiting till I was 10, about 3 months to long) I vowed to learn all about guns and safety soon after.
It took some guts to post this story thank you for posting it

Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #24

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I don't remember my first shot with a real gun. My dad was into hunting and guns when I was a kid. For some reason by the time I was old enough to take part in those kinds of things, for one reason or another, he stopped. It's something I really regret and wish it had been a part of my childhood. Especially since it was something he shared with my older brother. I'm positive that he and my grandfather took me shooting at some point when I was younger.

Since then I recall going with the scouts and shooting some .22 rifles, black powder muskets, and shooting clays with some 12ga shotguns. It was a lot of fun and we leaned a lot of gun safety at the same time.

I really have enjoyed reading some of your stories in here. I really love the soda can trick. I'm going to have to use that with my children someday, if I ever have any. And I will be damn sure they have great memories of shooting and learn proper gun safety at an early age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
I was 9 years old and was at a friends house, we were in his moms room when she was rearranging her room and lifted her mattress to move it to the hall, when I spotted her .32 laying on the boxsprings. I had never handled a handgun at the time and mistook it for a toy, partly because it was a old revolver with the wood grips missing, just the frame threw me off. I picked it up to look at it, pointing across my belly sideways to the left, I pulled the trigger. It went boom, his mom comes in screaming grabs the pistol out of my hands, that's when I seen him, my friend was across the room laying face down in a pool of blood. His mom still screaming runs over to him, lifts his head to see blood squirting out of his cheek just below his right eye. She really starts freaking, I start screaming, at this point I just imagining she's gonna shoot me, I run, ran out the door heading to my house. I could barely get the words out to tell my mom, she called for a ambulance then went to help, I being a kid could just imagine the mom coming to kill me, I hid in my bedroom closet for hours, it took our pastor , my mom dad, and my big brother to talk me out. The boy lived, bullet entered just under his right eye, spiraling through his nasal cavity resting in a bundle of nerves in his neck, Dr's couldn't remove it in fear of damaging nerves, so its still there to this day. Though just 9 at the time, it was the worst day of my life. Needless to say when I was over the shock and sadness of it all, my dad apologized for waiting to teach me about firearms ( he planned on waiting till I was 10, about 3 months to long) I vowed to learn all about guns and safety soon after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Ps
Have a boy of my own now and began firearms safety training as soon as he got his first nerf gun, then cap guns, then bb guns,then pellet gun, now his .22, now I'm proud to say he is a very safe, savy, responsible lil shooting buddy. He is safer than most guys we see at the range. and won't even accept a gun if he didn't see me clear it, then clears it himself.... I won't let something like that happen again.
Wow!

That does take a lot of gut to post that. It was hard to read as I imagined myself in that situation. It really shows that you shouldn't wait until your kids are older to learn gun safety and I'm glad that you learned from that.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #25

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It was 27 years ago, time heals all wounds they say, but its always in the back of my mind. I have explained what happened to my son in vivid details to help drive the utmost importance of safety first. On a lighter note, I also will use 2 litter bottles of cheap soda, usually strawberry from local grocery store, there like 89 cents. Shake well, fire away,

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #26

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

About 2 months ago my neighbor three houses down accidentally shot his 15 yr old son while cleaning guns after a Sunday if shooting. Hit the boy in the neck with a 9mm and paralyzed him. He now stays at Primary Children's Hospital here in SLC 6 days a week and comes home on Saturdays. he is starting to finally get some movement in his arms. The boy was my sons friend and I think it really opened my kids eyes about all the stuff I'm such a stickler about. Although a horrible situation, I'm thankful for the opportunity it gave me to reinforce gun safety in my home and hopefully it will keep my son and nephews from being careless in the future. If anyone knows about this story or wants to find out more the kids name is Chance Sackett and if you want info on how to help with his medical bills they have a fund set up. I think Primary Children's Medical Center can give you more info, there number is 801-662-1000. Just ask if you can find out more info about how to donate. We had a neighborhood yard sale last weekend and are planning a bake sale. If anything look up this story and share it with your kids.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #27

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The first rifle I fired was my uncle's 30-30 and I think I was about 11 or 12, I shot one of his revolvers that same day but can't remember the caliber. I really didn't get into shooting a lot until I joined the Corps though. I remember taking a couple 357 rounds to school (no gun, just rounds) and saying I was going to blow up the teacher's car for giving me a bad review or something, needless to say I was no longer allowed to go to that school EVER!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #28

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
About 2 months ago my neighbor three houses down accidentally shot his 15 yr old son while cleaning guns after a Sunday if shooting. Hit the boy in the neck with a 9mm and paralyzed him. He now stays at Primary Children's Hospital here in SLC 6 days a week and comes home on Saturdays. he is starting to finally get some movement in his arms. The boy was my sons friend and I think it really opened my kids eyes about all the stuff I'm such a stickler about. Although a horrible situation, I'm thankful for the opportunity it gave me to reinforce gun safety in my home and hopefully it will keep my son and nephews from being careless in the future. If anyone knows about this story or wants to find out more the kids name is Chance Sackett and if you want info on how to help with his medical bills they have a fund set up. I think Primary Children's Medical Center can give you more info, there number is 801-662-1000. Just ask if you can find out more info about how to donate. We had a neighborhood yard sale last weekend and are planning a bake sale. If anything look up this story and share it with your kids.
I never understand how this stuff happens. You CANNOT clean a gun correctly with a round in the chamber. It's sad that something so simple as unloading could have saved this kid from so much pain and suffering.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My first time shooting was when I was somewhere between the ages of 3 and 5 shooting a .22 LR. My dad would take my brother and me down to the creek and would prop us up against the wooden railing on the bridge and toss cans into the stream for us to shoot while he helped hold the rifle. I sure did love going down to the creek and shooting!

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)