First shot ever....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First shot ever....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First shot ever....

Do you remember it? I do because my Dad taught me the most valuable lesson he could...
I was 7 or just 8 when I went with Pop to pick up my brother at our Scout Master's house. Mr. Beebe had 16 acres that we camped on almost every weekend. On Sunday afternoons we were allowed to take out our riffles and shoot on his range after everyone cleared out of the camp sites. I was still too young for Scouts but since my Brother and I shared a room and he had just gotten a Marlin 60 for Christmas, Pop wanted me to learn about firearm safety.
I had just finished building a model of a Corvette all by myself and was very proud of it. Pop told me to bring it along and we went to Beebe's place. The Scouts were cleared out and those that would be shooting were setting out targets on the backstop. Pop told me to go put the vette on the top of the target holder. When I came back he had me sit with Beebe. I listened as Beebe described what to do, what I should see, how to chamber a round, and finally how to fire. When I saw the plastic car explode in the scope I was elated.... then sad, I had just blown away my pride and joy!
Pop leaned in and asked, "Now do you know the difference between cartoons and real life? You NEVER point a weapon at something you don't want killed, gone, dead...never to return".
Lesson well learned.
My Kids never got to meet Beebe, he died two days after my wedding. But my Dad is thrilled that I still use that lesson to teach my kids about firearm safety. There is never a time when my kids (6 and 13) have asked about a firearm that I haven't stopped everything I was doing to go over gun safety and how to properly handle a firearm. I would rather they get curious with me than get hurt.
Thanks to Beebe and my Dad I can pass this on to my sons.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow. That brings back memories. My first time, I was seven. My Uncle Lou, Dad and a friend of theirs was out back shooting the shotguns and rifles. They asked me if I wanted to shoot, and, obviously, I was elated. Handed me an eight gauge shotgun. They told me how to aim it, and the squeeze the trigger, and I'd feel a light 'kick', as it went off.
Knocked me on my butt. I went sailing back, and my Uncle grabbed the gun. Then my dad looked at me and grinned. "Now just imagine being in front of it' he said. That was one lesson I never forgot. (And I was quite eager to shoot again, after my shoulder quit hurting, but then they bumped me down to a .22 and a .410.)

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The first shot was a rock to the head, it just got easier from there.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

With the kids, and the grandkids- object lesson. .22LR high speed hollow point, can of soda. Rips that puppy wide open.

Lesson- if anyone ever says "it's only a .22, I want you to remember that soda can. It is a firearm, not a toy, It can hurt you really bad or kill you. NEVER point a gun at anything you do not mean to destroy."

Few years back, youngest son dropped by to use the range for his son's first shoot. Yep- a .22 rifle, and a 6 pack of Pepsi. Son looked at me, smiled, said "I still remember that soda can, Dad."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
With the kids, and the grandkids- object lesson. .22LR high speed hollow point, can of soda. Rips that puppy wide open.

Lesson- if anyone ever says "it's only a .22, I want you to remember that soda can. It is a firearm, not a toy, It can hurt you really bad or kill you. NEVER point a gun at anything you do not mean to destroy."

Few years back, youngest son dropped by to use the range for his son's first shoot. Yep- a .22 rifle, and a 6 pack of Pepsi. Son looked at me, smiled, said "I still remember that soda can, Dad."
When was this c3? 1972??? Sorry man couldnt resist. Mine was a 22 w a 20 oz soda bottle full of vinegar and baking soda. My grandpa told me thats what happens to anything you want tore up so bad you cant fix it. Made sense to a 5 year old. I taught my little cousins that and made sure i said it to where Grandpa could hear it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

When was this c3? 1972??? Sorry man couldnt resist. Mine was a 22 w a 20 oz soda bottle full of vinegar and baking soda. My grandpa told me thats what happens to anything you want tore up so bad you cant fix it. Made sense to a 5 year old. I taught my little cousins that and made sure i said it to where Grandpa could hear it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
My first shot was wild turkey in 1981 ohhhhh first gun shot oh ok I was confused sorry, it was a 410 I was 4yrs old

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Pepsi come on thats high dollar 22 fun ,go to a dollar store an get a case of their crap soda shake it up an let the fun start

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
The first shot was a rock to the head, it just got easier from there.

I think I got that same rock.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Glad someone found a use for Pepsi!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I remember my first shot with a "real gun". I had used a red ryder bb rifle and cap guns before, but i got my first rifle a .22 bolt-action for Christmas when i was six. I was FREAKIN THRILLED. Now that i think about you guys' "object lessons" with the toy car & soda cans, i bet that was what my Dad was trying to teach me by letting me shoot that squirrel for my first shot...he probably should've picked a different target; i've never much cared for tree rats.

After next weekend and the tax season slacks off some, i bleve i will reclean that old rifle and put some .22 shorts on some tree rats. LOP is a bit short now.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.