Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   First range trip with A 15! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/first-range-trip-15-a-41043/)

jgand72 04-10-2011 01:10 AM

First range trip with A 15!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Today was my first trip to the range with my new Stag Arms Model 2. It was my first time shooting anything bigger than a .22 (besides a 12 gauge). I wasn't expecting as much kick as there was, but I did get used to it pretty quickly. It seemed pretty accurate, using a rest I hit the pole on the target stand at 50 yards on my first try (good for me).

Here's a pic of my final shots of the day. Iron sights @ 50 yards, standing with no rest. I think I did decent. The gun is VERY fun to shoot, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to shoot a .22 again any time soon. Can't wait to hit the range next weekend again.

Correction to the thread title: AR 15 haha

P.S. This was with the factory zero, as I have not had a chance to zero it at 50 yards yet (annoying to do at a crowded public range). Generally, what distance are the iron sights zeroed for from the factory. I think I read somewhere that they're usually zeroed at 300? Anyone?

dog2000tj 04-10-2011 02:17 AM

The groups will get better with practice ;)

As for setting zero that can be done at 25yds. According to my DPMS manual your point of impact at 25yds should be 2.4cm below bullseye (point of aim). That will give you a bullseye point of impact at 250yds.

LeoGripster 04-10-2011 03:36 AM

Good for you on shooting with open sights. I took my new Stag out for the first time and told myself I had to get accurate with open sights before I could indulge in any optics. I think it is becoming a lost art (open sights, that is).

Stag's are great so enjoy every shot. I just purchased a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt for my AR and can't wait to test it out. I want to get my wife and kids addicted to the AR and I can think of no better way than with the easy and minimal recoil of a .22lr.

jgand72 04-10-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 483130)
The groups will get better with practice ;)

As for setting zero that can be done at 25yds. According to my DPMS manual your point of impact at 25yds should be 2.4cm below bullseye (point of aim). That will give you a bullseye point of impact at 250yds.

Good to know about the sighting, thanks!

Leo, I told myself the same exact thing. I really want to become accurate with the open sights before getting into optics. I really want to master the rifle before I add anything on at all. I was looking into getting a .22 conversion kit so my sister could start shooting it, but she'll end up trying to take the whole rifle as her own (she's older, and has been doing this to me my whole entire life :confused:).

LeoGripster 04-10-2011 03:49 AM

double post, sorry.