First attempt open sights - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > First attempt open sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
Absolutely no comparison in my book zhuk! I agree, if the only Enfield made was the #5, there would be a lot more .303 ammo around. Nobody would be shooting theirs.

This is all unsubstantiated and not very scientific, but my impression on felt recoil with a full length rifle would be maybe 30 to 40% less than with the #5. Never noticed the recoil much, 150 rds with a small bruise. Now with the #5, 20 rds is all I want! JMHO

My favorite .303 is the SMLE MKIII*, its strictly a personal thing, but I favor it over the #4. Out of my MKIII*s the scoped 1941 Lithgow is a tack driver. The others are too, I just can't reach full potential without a scope.

Don't forget the Ishapore 2A & 2A1, they are based on a MKIII* and built in India. Chambered in 7.62 NATO they are SUPER accurate.

After reading your post my right shoulder actually started to hurt! Must be sympathy pains.

Here are a few pics of what I was talk'in about. Take care zuhk, Ken

Great to know, many thanks for that info ken. No wonder my shoulder was complaining; I went through 57 lol

Can understand your sympathy pains now, heh. Nice photos.

Well that definately gives me hope! I know there's a club member who shoots pretty exclusively with open sighted Enfields, he will jump at the chance to bring another shooter "into the fold" so I can try his. Won't shoot anything younger than about 1950 since it's all "that modern sh1t"

Not sure how available period scopes are though - our comps require if in "Modified Division" that contemporary accessories be used on standard rifles. So I'd most likely shoot open sights in Standard...just makes it that much harder. Our captain says if you get standard rifles under your belt, going back to scopes you just kill it, score-wise

Talking to one guy at the range on Sunday, he said the prices for these rifles has gone through the roof since semis were banned in '96 - SMLEs with very good bores/matching bolts etc are going for over 1000 bucks these days...not to mention something like this. What a beauty:

Although I'm sure you can get something that's still pretty accurate and not too shot out for maybe $500-600 or so. Used to be able to pick em up for about $100-150 in the pre-ban days apparently.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9405 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

The felt recoil of the SMLE or #4 is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the #5. The #5 also reportedly suffered from a problem known as a "wandering zero", due to cuts made in the receiver to lighten the rifle. For a true #4 sniper model, with the VERY nice wood shown in the photo, start shopping for a second mortgage on the house. However, if you are looking for a shooter, as opposed to the purist collector, there are no-gunsmithing scope mounts available, and (at least here in the states) you can get a decent shape Long Branch #4 for about $250.

rifles-004.jpg

Wood is not as pretty as your picture, metal is good, wears a #3 bolt head,
and cost me $150.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The felt recoil of the SMLE or #4 is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the #5. The #5 also reportedly suffered from a problem known as a "wandering zero", due to cuts made in the receiver to lighten the rifle. For a true #4 sniper model, with the VERY nice wood shown in the photo, start shopping for a second mortgage on the house. However, if you are looking for a shooter, as opposed to the purist collector, there are no-gunsmithing scope mounts available, and (at least here in the states) you can get a decent shape Long Branch #4 for about $250.

Attachment 22929

Wood is not as pretty as your picture, metal is good, wears a #3 bolt head,
and cost me $150.

Hmm, "wandering zero" that doesn't sound too good lol

Have to say you've given me hope, c3

In the meantime, I can use the club Enfield that's been re-chambered for .223, shoot in Modified and get used to open sights, then try a couple of members' lent guns (I know someone's got a no.4) and after that start the search! Not going to bother with a scope so that should widen the available field (not to mention improve pricing prospects)

Not a bad example here - and one of the less expensive offered. Like I said before, you're not going to find anything US-priced here! See that's what you get for banning semis

used_military_rifles

Check this site out & be surprised^

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D