Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Finally got the wife out shooting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Finally got the wife out shooting!

A couple weekends ago I managed to get the wife out to the local sandpit (ranges 'round here are all private with sonsorship requirements and such) for some target shooting.
First trip out we brought my 10-22 and my 20ga Mossberg 500 (my turkey gun). She'd fired it once before, after I'd just bought it. She put 10 rounds downrange and declared she was done, being too cold to continue (it was mid-January) and frustrated by the factory "gold dot" sights.
I'd since put TechSights on it, which makes the rifle 100 times more accurate.
We pulled in, and found the two older guys who police the area resetting and rebuilding the target stands. Seems someone had decided clays were boring, and blasted the uprights on the target stands to smithereens with bird and buck shot. Nice.
The wife had bought me one of those metal flip targets ages ago as a birthday present, and I'd not yet used it. I am perfectly happy shooting paper or ice cubes, but couldn't tell her I wasn't a huge fan of the metal flipper. She thought the ones on Top Shot were nifty, so now I own one. While I waited for the stands to be rebuilt, I assembled the flipper. The older gents made fun of it, but I set it up anyways. One remarked that I wasn't going to hit anything with iron sights, and that I should buy a scope. I laughed it off.
I sat the wife down in the sand and showed her proper sight picture with a sand drawing, and explained all the parts of the rifle. Handed her a magazine, and set her to shooting. The first shot went about 6 inches high, and I heard a snicker from the old guys in their truck. I corrected her POA, and the second went wide by a hair, as did the third. After the fourth shot, she flipped the first target. She ran through the rest of the targets without a miss! Unfortunately, I assembled the target wrong (or it came welded backward, I still haven't figured it out), so she couldn't use the auto-reset. I just walked down to it and kicked the flippers over after every foour shots for her. :lol:
She put about 50 rounds downrange, and only missed about 10. She was hitting the 3" circles at a 90% rate from 30 yards. Not too shabby for someone who'd only fired 10 shots in her life.

We broke out the shotgun next. I explained how to load the mag tube, rack shells, and eject unfired shells. I found several intact clays in the dirt from the folks who'd wrecked the stands, and set them up on the slope of the pit. I wasn't throwing targets into the air for her first ever time firing the shotgun! She attempted to sight in with her forehand as far forward on the slide as she could. I put her hand back to the rear of the slide, and she was able to heft the gun without much trouble. Her first shot went three feet high. Second was a foot high, and the third splattered the clay. She put one more downrange at a second clay successfully, and quit for the day. She's not a huge fan of the shotgun recoil. I cleaned out the rest of the clays in quick succession and we packed up.
On the way out the older guys remarked "There, now you can get home and clean up the kitchen! Haha!" The wife faked a laugh, and we walked back to the car. I didn't think much of the comment until I was driving home, and then it ruffled my feathers a bit. Not quite sure how one is supposed to learn to shoot when you get comments like that thrown at you.

We went back the next day with my new CZ82 and a family member's borrowed AMT Backup. The older gents were there again (they're there most every day. One may actually own the land. I still need to introduce myself, but get shy around strangers).
We said hi, and I tacked up some paper handgun targets. I explained how to load magazines, chamber rounds, and set the wife to work. She fired the Backup, and was stunned by the noise. I was too! Loud for such a little handgun. She hit the target once in 12 shots. She hit a few jams, and I explained how to clear them. I had her fire the CZ82, to about the same effect. She remarked that she preferred the recoil on the CZ82, but liked the grip and ergonomics of the Backup better. The double-stack grips on the CZ82 are a bit much for her to hold comfortably. I was standing behind her watching her impacts at one point while she was firing the Backup, and her brass plunked me squarely between the eyes. Oops! I moved off to the side. lol.
I did poorly with the Backup, not hitting the target at all, maybe once. It's just too small a weapon for me to grip properly. I did better with the CZ82, landing maybe 4 of 20 in the black. I dropped a lot of shots low left.
We policed up all of the brass we could find. The CZ82 throws brass like a howitzer. I lost half of it in a patch of briars before I realized where it was going.

Overall, a good trip. The wife is enthused about shooting now. She likes the technical challenge of shooting, and was heartened by the fact that she improved in such a short time (especially with the 10-22).
Looks like I have a new shooting buddy!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like a good trip! been trying to get the wife out to learn to shoot as well..

Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

I don't want my GF to know anything about my shooting hobby. Our worlds collide enough as it is. She doesn't know one gun from another, she doesn't have my safe combination, and if I get a new gun, I just act as if I have had it all along and all is well. As a result, if I want to get a new gun, I just get it. I don't need permission. When I am reloading and she asks me about it, I just start spouting off a bunch of ballistics like, bullet weights, powder numbers and muzzle velocities and she says, "never mind." That is one area of my life I don't have to share and it is a wonderful thing.
cottontop

Garadex Likes This 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I got my wife into shooting finally. She did not like the rifles so rented a pistol. She now has 2 pistols, s&w 9mm & gsg 1911-22. She is a hell of a shot too

Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymike
I got my wife into shooting finally. She did not like the rifles so rented a pistol. She now has 2 pistols, s&w 9mm & gsg 1911-22. She is a hell of a shot too
That GSG is a really fun pistol, i'd just advise spending the $20 to get the guide rod and spring replaced. You'll see an immediate improvement in performance. AKA --- NO MORE STOVE PIPES!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Would it help with jams. She tried shooting the same ammo I shoot through my rifle and she had a few jams.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #7

Idk, what is she shooting through it? Jam as in failure to feed?

I found that Winchester and Rem brand ammo shot like **** through it, but Federal bulk shot like a dream and CCI mini mags went through like butter. To date i've got about 6000 rds of federal automatch bulk and about 4000rds of cci mini mags through it with only a handful of malfunctions, usually associated with shooting 500rds at a time withought cleaning the feed ramps lol

I wrote up a review on it in range reports.

I've read some reviews where guys don't rly like it, but i'm in love with it. It goes to the range with me every time.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09 View Post
That GSG is a really fun pistol, i'd just advise spending the $20 to get the guide rod and spring replaced. You'll see an immediate improvement in performance. AKA --- NO MORE STOVE PIPES!
I still run the stock guide and spring, I have yet to experience any malfunctions. I have run Federal in the 550 round bulk pack, Blazer and even some 20+ year old stuff through it. Heck, I even picked up a couple of rounds someone dropped at the range and my GSG ate them like candy.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn

I still run the stock guide and spring, I have yet to experience any malfunctions. I have run Federal in the 550 round bulk pack, Blazer and even some 20+ year old stuff through it. Heck, I even picked up a couple of rounds someone dropped at the range and my GSG ate them like candy.
Yeah, mine loves the federal bulk

Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
EDIT BY MOD TO DELETE QUOTE OF DELETED POST

yes, my sons and daughters- THAT was a spammer. When they show up, we try to whack them quickly and quietly, and block their ISP address so they do not come back. Most are from China, India, etc. When they have a link it is frequently to something that is going to mess with your computer, credit card, or bank balance.

PLEASE hit the report button, and we will curb stomp their butts. Please do NOT quote them (or I have to clean that up) and do NOT click on any links they have.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Love and kisses, C3
........what

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-18-2012 at 03:46 PM.