Finally got the Lil' Woman to the range - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Finally got the Lil' Woman to the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What is the reason for this, my son is 7 and he shoots at the range with me all the time?

He knows the rules and follows them. Don't make the child what to enjoy a day at the range shooting.
If that range doesn't allow it, I would find another.
It's more of a case by case thing. I wouldn't mind teaching her on something like a Marlin .22 or something like that, but she can't even lift my M&P 15 which is my only rifle at the moment. My first starter rule of thumb is, to learn to fire a weapon, you must first be able to hold it, cock it, and operate it without anybody else assisting in the physical effort of doing so.

Edit: And I need to add WHY that's a case by case rule. Before I've ever taught anybody to fire a weapon, they must hold that weapon they are to be trained on in front of me, and follow my directions. Just because you CAN charge a weapon doesn't mean your ready to if in order to do so they are swinging the rifle all over the place in a red faced effort to pull the handle. Likewise, even if they pass that portion, locking the bolt back is the next "parallel parking" style difficulty test to pass, and that often will fail out somebody who can just barely charge the weapon safely. It's really case by case, and my 7 year old daughter just doesn't have the upper body strength yet to pass even the test of lifting the rifle and holding it comfortably, let alone even charging it. She can LIFT it, but holding it for any length of time is out of the question.

Last edited by moshpit; 04-23-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
So...did you get a .45?
Not yet.. Was on vacation all last week visiting family in Central Wa.. But did make a bunch of calls trying to locate a Rock Island locally with no results yet. But After the Remington Cane posted in the 1911 forum, I think being patient and waiting will pay off. Dont want to be an impulse shopper.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's posts like this that put a big grin on my face.
My wife finally went to the range with me today, after several years of acting outraged that there were guns in the house, that I carry, and while I'll forget birthdays and skip parties I always find time to practice.
I just wish that she'd shot that well with the pistol. Hurricane's a natural!