Family Range trip
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Family Range trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Family Range trip

A couple weeks ago I bought a Sig Mosquito from my local Academy Sporting Goods store. I painted the front sight a bright orange and loaded it up with some 22lr I had laying around the house. I also loaded up my ammo can with the reloads for my 1911 and factory ammo 357 magnums for my father to practice with. Once to seemed to stop raining this past week we (my father, mother and myself) decided to head off to the range to teach my mother (again) how to shoot an autoloading pistol. Our results came out alright considering it was 104 degrees outside.
My objectives for the trip was to test the reliability of my 45acp reloads in my 1911.
To test my new Sig Mosquito's reliabily and fun factor.
To teach my mother that pistols arent hard to use for women.
And finally to secretly outshoot my father.

First off, the reliabilty of my 45acp handloads---

The grouping for my 45acp handloads I didnt get to test due to the heat running us off of the range. I'll have to update this tread when I get that chance. Although during rapid firing (as seen in the above video) I placed 9 out of 10 in the torso of the silhouette at 7 yards.

Family Range trip - Range Report
The Sig Sauer Mosquito 22lr did superbly. I didnt have one hiccup from it out the 100 rounds of Federal 22lr bulk pack that I had laying around my room. I did notice I need to change out the front blade sine the taller blade is on it and is making the shots fall low.
The above picture is the result of several magazine's worth from the Sig Mosquito. All of them were shot by mother mother who claims she was doing exactly as instructed and aiming at the 'x' on the target as well as lining up the sights in a straight line as I told her to. Obvisouly trigger control is a bit of an issue on the gun since it is a bit mushy with lots of pre-travel, but considering she hasnt shot in several years i'd say its pretty good.
Since the Sig was what my mother was shooting she had a fun time with it and enjoyed the trip more than she had the last one when we tried to get her to shoot a different 22lr gun (U22 Neos). She actually wants to go again with us to the range when the heat dies out during the fall. Considering my mother had a hate for guns when I first started getting into them this is great progress.

And finally I'll like to brag a bit (but not too much) that I actually out-shot my father on 25 yard 10" silhouettes 10 shots each with two go arounds. My first set was 7 out of 10 his was 6 out of 10 on the first round, I made 8 out of 10 the second time and he made 7 out of 10 his second time.
I am using a fiber optic front sight for my pistol and he's using a Smith and Wesson factory set of sights but still considering he has 20/20 and I have 20/200 vision the feild was fairly level, at least I think it is.

Last edited by Ruzai; 08-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good stuff. Family time is important.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good stuff! I miss shooting with Dad. The bastard never missed, and if he did, it was my fault!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is nice that you had family time and at the shooting range at that. I enjoy seeing posts like this. I am glad you had a great time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Good stuff! I miss shooting with Dad. The bastard never missed, and if he did, it was my fault!
I know that feeling but instead of my dad that's like that its my cousin.

I am considering taking another trip soon to test my accuracy on the loads of 45acp. I would have done it that day but since its a slower paced process that only I would be doing I figured I wouldnt put mom and dad though waiting on me.
Now that my phone has video capibility I might actually get to have videos of my stuff I can share.