Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Failure to feed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You saw Beretta because the KelTec is a PF9, not 9PF

And the Beretta has a 92F.

Just a combination of errors. I had no idea what the OP meant by 9PF, either until he clarified "Keltec."

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #12

That problem could be caused by a under powered round or a recoil spring that is to heavy for the rounds being fired. All Auto`s have their recoil spring from the factory that is typically heavy. I have three recoil springs for my Colt Gold Cup and several for my other auto pistols. There is a trick to taking some of the lbs out of them but be very carefull. A broken frame could result in to light of a recoil spring.

hope this helps,

patret

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The only time I've had a gun not strip a round from the top of the magazine (other than shooter error) was when I got a single underpowered round. I knew it right away because the sound was light, and it didn't feel right — I was afraid I had a squib. The slide cycled enough to eject the casing but not enough to grab the next round.

You mentioned that you tried different grain weights; did this also include different manufacturers? That is, were the 147-gr. rounds that gave you the problems the same brand as the 147-gr. rounds that worked well? Even if they were, it's possible there was a bad lot of ammunition.

There are a few guns that specify which end of the recoil spring faces forward. I'm not familiar with Kel-Tecs, but double-check your user manual to make sure it was in there correctly.

That's all I got.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

There was only 1 ftf with the AE 147's and it was the 3 rnd. All fed fine after. The initial problem was with Fiocchi 124 gr hardball when my wife was shooting it. On previous occasions I had run 100 rnd of the same ammo without a hitch. I had planned on getting to the range yesterday but I am upgrading my allarm system and it took longer than exected. Possibly tomorrow morning. I will go with Fiocchi 124 gr and RWS 124 gr. Everything looked normal when I cleaned the gun after the failures. I did however switch from Breakfree to Shooters Choice FP-10 after the failure so I am wondering if it was a lube problem. I wont know until I run some rnds. I do know the 10/22 and the Marlin 700 like the FP-10 better. It might have take a few rnds to get the oil worked into the gun.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
JTJ

I took the PF9 to the range today. All bad. I fired 20+ rnds of Fiocchi 124 gr and still having the same problem. Switched to RWS 124 gr hardball and it is jamming on the top of the chamber. Same problem I had with the 115 gr. I called KelTec and they are sending me new recoil springs. If that does not fix it, then it gets shipped back to the factory.
I took my very neglected Marlin 700 with me and it salvaged the morning. I slapped a 3x9x32 scope on it the other day and sighted it in at 50 yards with 36 gr mini mags. 1st 3 on paper low and right. Adjusted the scope and next 12 were in the 10 ring. I used the top of the lower cross hair post, duplex reticle, at 100 yds and got 7 out of 10 into the 10 ring. Darn good little $80 gun. It shoots better than my Ruger 10/22.

Patron Member NRA

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
JTJ

Kel Tec sent me a new recoil spring assembly. I got it today so I installed it and took the PF9 to the indoor range. It looks like it is cured. I ran 50 rnds of AE 147 gr with 1 rnd hanging up on the top of the chamber. They are flat nose. I also ran some 115gr Blazer Brass and some 124 gr Hydros with no problems. I will have to take some 115 gr HP next time. The Blazer felt a little hot and had a very white flash. Also shot low indicating higher speed. I need to get some 147 gr HP.

Patron Member NRA

Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #17

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Kel Tec sent me a new recoil spring assembly. I got it today so I installed it and took the PF9 to the indoor range. It looks like it is cured. I ran 50 rnds of AE 147 gr with 1 rnd hanging up on the top of the chamber. They are flat nose. I also ran some 115gr Blazer Brass and some 124 gr Hydros with no problems. I will have to take some 115 gr HP next time. The Blazer felt a little hot and had a very white flash. Also shot low indicating higher speed. I need to get some 147 gr HP.
glad to hear its just a worn spring

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...